Ham Bacon and Broccoli Quiche
Ok, ok… I know this isn’t the most exciting recipe I’ve ever shared, but homemade quiche is one of our favorite meals! It’s light, yet filling, and packed with veggies and protein! This ham, bacon and broccoli combo just can’t be beat.
I’ve always been a huge fan of quiche. Growing up my mom would make it for us and load it with broccoli and cheese. But let’s be honest, I was all about the crust! Anyway, like I mentioned above, our family loves this dish. It’s easy to make and tastes great as leftovers. We usually buy a few thick cut slices of deli ham and chop it up, but leftover holiday ham works great too! And of course we fry up a little bit of bacon to sprinkle inside- it makes it 10x better!
If you want to make this entirely from scratch you can use my favorite pie crust recipe or you can use a pre-made frozen crust. Either way it’ll bake up beautifully. The filling is super easy. Just saute the onions, add the broccoli and ham, then spread it into the partially baked crust. Whisk up some eggs, heavy cream, sour cream and cornstarch (along with some spices) for egg-base and pour it in. Sprinkle some cheddar cheese and bacon crumbles here and there and it’s ready to be baked. After about 40 minutes it should be set and the top will be golden brown. Let it cool for a few minutes and then slice it up!
Whether you serve it hot or cold, I guarantee you’re going to love this quiche! It’s got that crispy, flaky crust and a filling that’s bursting with flavor. You’ll be begging for a second slice!
- 1 pre-made pie crust or my recipe minus the vanilla
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- ⅔ c. thick cut ham, cubed
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ c. heavy whipping cream or half & half
- ¼ c. sour cream
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ⅛ tsp. paprika
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 3 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Remove cold pie crust from fridge or freezer and lay into a 9-inch pie dish. Crimp the top edges and prick the bottom and the sides of the crust with a toothpick or for. Place a piece of parchment paper over top and fill with dried beans, rice or pie weights. Blind bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden brown (note that homemade may take slightly longer). Meanwhile, in a large skillet or saute pan set over medium-low heat, melt butter. Add the onion and cook until translucent, then add in the broccoli and ham, cook 3-4 minutes, then remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, sour cream, cornstarch, salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika and nutmeg.
- Spread the onion/broccoli/ham mixture into the bottom of the hot pie crust, then sprinkle half of the bacon and cheddar over top. Pour in the egg mixture and then top with the remaining bacon and cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake for 35-45 minutes or until the filling is set. The mixture will probably puff in the center, but will fall as it is removed from the oven and starts to cool. Serve hot or cold.
Recipe source: Life Made Simple