1 Minute Chocolate Mug Cakes (microwave version)
I’ve gotta be honest with you, I’ve never been a fan of mug cakes… until now. They’ve always been too gooey, spongy or just pain bland. Not these ones! They’re rich, chocolatey and taste just like a slice of warm cake, only in a mug! Seem too good to be true? Think again!
This recipe makes three mug cakes. And trust me, that’s a good thing. You may find yourself devouring all three… or sharing them with those you really love :) I topped two with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and some sprinkles, and the third with a piece of Ghirardelli’s salted caramel filled chocolate and a pinch of sea salt. They were both heavenly.
The thing about these chocolate mug cakes is that they’re actual cake. You use both egg and leaving agents- both necessary when it comes to creating both the perfect texture and taste. It’s just the baking method that’s different. Zap them for 1 minute on high in the microwave and they’re good to go! Sooo crazy easy, so crazy decadent & delicious.
So are you ready to get started?! In a medium small mixing bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Then gradually whisk in an egg, the whole milk, oil (you can use vegetable or melted coconut) and vanilla extract. Mix just until smooth, taking care not to overmix. Pour into three large mugs (I used 13 ounce mugs), dividing the batter evenly between them. Microwave for 1 minute on high (I do one at a time), then remove and top with a few chocolate chips, a dab of Nutella or a piece of filled chocolate (the sky is the limit, you could do raspberry, caramel, peanut butter or mint). Then add a scoop of vanilla ice cream, a dab of whipped cream or a swirl of frosting.
These mug cakes are simply irresistible! They’re so easy to make and even easier to “bake.” You have to try them for yourself! Enjoy!
- 7 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3½ tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder*
- 7 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- ¼ c. + 2 tbsp. whole milk or buttermilk
- 2 tbsp. melted coconut oil or vegetable oil
- ¾ tsp. vanilla extract
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugars, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Gradually whisk in the egg, whole milk, oil and vanilla. Mix just until smooth. Pour into three large mugs, dividing evenly between the three.
- Place one mug in the microwave at a time, heat on high for 1 minute (depending on your microwave it could take 10 seconds more or less). Remove and top with a few chocolate chips, a dab of Nutella or a piece of chocolate. When the cakes are cool enough (about 5 minutes), enjoy!
-Make sure to use a mug that's at least 12 oz. in size, preferably more than 13.
-You can top these warm mug cakes with just about anything: ice cream, chocolate chips, a spoon full of Nutella, or even a bit of frosting!
Recipe source: slightly adapted from Broma Bakery