Oatmeal Banana Muffins
I’m not a huge banana fan, but banana bread or muffins, yes please! That said, when I go to the store I usually only buy what we can eat within a few days, never a full bunch. But every once in a while I’ll snag a few extra to make our favorite whole wheat banana pancakes, a batch of soft banana cookies or a loaf of my mom’s banana bread. This time I wanted to do something a little different and make oatmeal banana muffins. They’re crazy moist, tender and full of rolled oats and bits of ripe banana.
I love making muffins in the morning, especially now that life has gotten a bit busier. They’re easy to whip up, last for days, our toddler loves them, and my husband can grab a few on his way out the door to work. Did I mention that you can toss in just about anything to the batter? Yay for endless mix-ins! Fruit, nuts, coconut, chocolate or spreads are all great additions to these muffins.
But before you go wild, take a moment to savor a plain one… I promise you won’t regret it! The brown sugar along with the buttermilk (or Greek yogurt) & ripe banana make these muffins incredibly moist, tender and flavorful. You’ll want one after another! Of course the Nutella lover in me had to add a dollop to the top of a few. Just look at that swirl, how could I resist?!
Just make sure to read the recipe carefully, use the correct ingredients (no swapping rolled oats for quick-cooking) and measure your mashed overly ripe banana! Fill the muffin wells 3/4 of the way full, bake them until golden brown on top and serve them while they’re still nice and warm.
Grab a tall glass of milk because as soon as these golden beauties come out of the oven, you’re gonna need it! I hope your family enjoys these oatmeal banana muffins as much as ours has! Happy baking :)
- 10 tbsp. melted butter
- ⅔ c. brown sugar
- 1¼ c. mashed overly ripe banana (about 4 medium)
- ½ c. buttermilk or plain Greek yogurt
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- ⅔ c. old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick cooking)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon (optional)
- Nutella (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray or line a standard size muffin pan, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together melted butter and sugar. Add the buttermilk (or Greek yogurt) and mashed bananas, mix on low for 30 seconds. Add the eggs and vanilla, mix until just combined.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, oats, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Whisk together then with mixing speed on low, gradually add dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Using a large scoop, fill each well ¾ of the way full (or a little more if you have some extra). If using Nutella, place about 1 tsp. of Nutella on the top of each muffin and swirl with a knife. Place in the oven and bake for 18-22 minutes. The tops should be lightly golden brown and they should be nice and firm. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pans for 2-3 minutes before removing and transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
-Add-ins such as chopped nuts, fresh fruit, dried fruit, coconut, chopped chocolate and nut butter spreads are all great additions! You may want to omit the cinnamon depending on what you use :)
Recipe source: Life Made Simple