Pumpkin Zucchini Bread
Pumpkin and spice adds a hint of fall to this moist and tender zucchini bread. It’s easy to make and even easier to customize with chocolate chips or chopped nuts!
A few years ago I made pumpkin zucchini cupcakes with a cinnamon cream cheese frosting and they were soooo good! I thought it was about time to turn that delicious combo into a moist, tender quick bread. This one has become a favorite of ours. It takes about 10 minutes to whip up and bakes up beautifully!
When it comes to most quick breads, I generally prefer when they’re plain or when they’ve got chopped nuts mixed in. However, I kind of have a weak spot for pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, so I thought mixing in semi-sweet chocolate chips into one loaf would be extra yummy… it was! I’d highly recommend it. ????
Pictured above are two loaves baked in 9×5-inch pans. I wasn’t sure how tall they’d get so I was overly cautious. This recipe would definitely work in 8×4-inch pans, though, and they’d probably bake up a lot taller. If you’re not bothered by shorter loaves, by all means use the 9×5-inch pans, but if you’re weirdly obsessed with the shape of your bread, go ahead and give the 8×4-inch pans a try!
I baked my loaves for about 45 minutes. They were golden brown on top and perfectly moist and tender in the center. The crumb was absolute perfection!!
What I loved most was how well the flavors complimented each other. Zucchini + pumpkin = a match made in fall heaven ;)
If you don’t plan on eating both loaves right away, this bread freezes really well. Once it’s completely cool, wrap it in plastic wrap, toss it into a gallon size ziploc bag and stash it away for up to 3 months. You’ll be so glad you did!
My family (especially the kiddos) loved munching on this throughout the week. It was a great little snack/after dinner treat. Grab some zucchini and a can of pumpkin and whip up this pumpkin zucchini bread ASAP, you won’t regret it!
- 1 c. pumpkin puree
- ½ c. melted butter
- ½ c. vegetable or canola oil
- ¾ c. granulated sugar
- 1 c. brown sugar, packed
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2 c. shredded zucchini (lightly squeezed)
- 3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. kosher sea salt
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- ⅔-1⅓ c. semi-sweet chips or chopped nuts*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray two 8X4" or 9x5" loaf pans; set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the pumpkin, butter, oil, sugars, eggs and vanilla extract. Add zucchini and fold in with a spatula.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Gradually fold into the wet ingredients along with chocolate or nuts (if desired), mixing just until combined.
- Pour the batter evenly between the two prepared pans. Place in the oven and bake for 40-50 minutes (if using 9x5 pans) or 50-60 minutes (if using 8x4 pans) or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pans for 15 minutes before removing and allowing to cool on a wire rack.
Recipe source: Life Made Simple