Zesty Lemon Cupcakes with Swiss Meringue Buttercream
¾ c. all-purpose flour
¾ c. cake flour
1½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
Zest of 2 lemons
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2½ tbsp. lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚ F. Line cupcake pans with 12 paper liners.
5. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared liners, filling each about ¾ full. Bake 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pans 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely (30 minutes or so) before frosting.
Swiss Meringue Buttercream
2½ large egg whites
½ lb. (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
Pinch of salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1. To divide an egg white, whisk one egg white in a liquid measuring cup. Divide the white into two equal portions (save the other half or toss it out).
4. Transfer the mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment. Beat on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form and the mixture has cooled, about 7-8 minutes or so.
5. Reduce the speed to medium and add the butter, 2 tablespoons at a time. Continue to beat on medium-high speed until thick and smooth, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in the vanilla extract and mix just until incorporated. Depending on the consistency and temperature of your frosting, you may want to chill it in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes before using it.
(Makes enough to frost 12 cupcakes)