Chewy Ginger Cookies
- 2 c. all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- ¼ c. molasses
- ¾ c. shortening
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp. diced crystalized ginger bits (optional)
- ½ c. sugar, for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together shortening, sugar and molasses. Add egg and mix until just combined.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together sifted flour, baking soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon. With mixing speed on low, gradually add to the wet ingredients.
- Remove bowl from stand and gently fold in crystalized ginger bits. Form into 1½" balls, roll in sugar. Place in oven and bake for 12 minutes. Cookies will look cracked, this is normal. Remove from oven and allow to cool on sheets for 3-4 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe source: Life Made Simple family recipe