Chocolate Peppermint S’mores Bars
Now that Christmas is over it’s a great time to use up all of that peppermint bark you’ve got sitting around… and I’ve got a perfect recipe for it! These are a spin on one of my favorite treats, Hershey’s Chocolate S’mores Bars
. You start off with chocolate graham crackers as the base, then scoop mounds of chocolate cookie dough on top, then cover the cookies with chocolate chips, crushed graham crackers, peppermint marshmallows and a whole lot of peppermint bark. They’re best served straight out of the oven when they’re all gooey and warm, because that’s just how s’mores should be eaten! I prefer piling up a plate full and eating mine with a mug full of cocoa, but a glass of milk would do too! I can’t tell you just how good these are- even the hubby who doesn’t care for peppermint was seriously digging ’em! I made us a standard batch, but next year I’ll be doubling this for sure! Enjoy!!!
Chocolate Peppermint S'mores Bars
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- ¼ c. natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ c. sugar
- ¼ c. brown sugar
- ⅔ c. semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 8 tbsp. (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. peppermint extract
- 1 sleeve chocolate graham crackers, more if needed
- 1 c. miniature peppermint marshmallows
- ½ c. regular miniature marshmallows
- ½ c. semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 Ghirardelli peppermint bark baking bar, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9×13 or a quarter baking sheet with parchment paper. Use the chocolate graham crackers to cover the parchment, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together butter, sugars, vanilla and peppermint for 2-3 minutes. Add melted chocolate chips, mix until combined. Add egg, then egg yolk, mixing just until combined.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. With mixing speed on low, add dry ingredients. When no flour pockets remain, turn off and remove bowl from stand. Spread cookie dough over the graham crackers, in an even layer.
- Place in oven and bake for 6 minutes, remove and gently press in remaining graham crackers (broken into pieces), marshmallows, chocolate chips and baking bar pieces. Place in oven and bake for an additional 10-12 minutes or until the marshmallows become lighty golden in color. Remove and allow to cool in pan for 25-30 minutes before removing and cutting into bars.