Triple Threat Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream
One of my favorite KitchenAid attachments is the ice cream maker bowl. Each summer we go crazy and make all sorts of yummy flavors. This year we’ve been slacking… I blame it on our super busy schedules, but really it’s just laziness. I’ve forgotten to freeze the bowl like 100 times, which is a pretty important part of the process 🙂 Finally the other night I remembered to stash it in the back of our freezer. Stephen was so excited when I told him I had made a batch of peanut butter ice cream! We’re a tad bit obsessed. Can you blame us?
I like to call this little concoction my “triple threat peanut butter cup ice cream.” It’s for serious peanut butter addicts only. The ice cream itself is made from peanut butter, then it has a thick creamy peanut butter swirl through it and is loaded with mini peanut butter cups. Sounds pretty amazing, right?! It is!
To start, you’re going to need a blender. Yep, there are no eggs in this ice cream recipe so you can just pour in the sugar, half & half, peanut butter (I’d suggest something creamy), vanilla and salt into the blender jar and give it a go. While the mixture is chilling in the fridge heat the ingredients for the swirl on the stovetop until the sugar dissolves and the peanut butter is smooth and creamy. Pop that in the fridge and wash up your dishes while they both chill.
Once the mixtures are cold, pour the ice cream base into your prepared ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions. It usually takes about 25-30 minutes for most ice cream recipes in my attachment. Once it looks like a firm soft-serve you know it’s done. Fold in your peanut butter cups (any mini peanut butter cups will do or chopped large cups) and then pour half of the ice cream into a freezer-safe container. Drizzle half of the swirl over the ice cream, repeat with the remaining ice cream and swirl. Since homemade ice cream is extra soft, you’ll want to freeze it for at least 2 hours before serving, I prefer 4.
When you’re ready to dig in just pace yourself! This ice cream is rich! It’s ultra creamy, exploding with peanut butter flavor and has those bitty cups that add some chocolatey crunch. It’s what dreams are made of folks. If you love peanut butter as much as we do, you’ve got to give this triple threat peanut butter cup ice cream a try! You won’t regret it!!!
- ¾ c. sugar
- 2⅔ c. half & half
- ¾ c. creamy peanut butter, heaping
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 1½ c. mini or chopped peanut butter cups
- Peanut Butter Swirl:
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. corn syrup
- ¼ c. half & half
- ¼ c. creamy peanut butter
- Assemble blender. Add the sugar, half & half, peanut butter, vanilla and salt to the blender jar. Blend for 1-2 minutes or until mixture is smooth and creamy. Pour into an air-tight container and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Meanwhile to make the swirl, combine all of the ingredients in a small saucepan set over low heat. Cook until the sugar and peanut butter become smooth and creamy. Remove from the heat and refrigerate for the remaining time.
- Once the ice cream base has chilled, pour into ice cream maker. Churn according to manufacturers instructions (it took about 28 minutes in my KitchenAid attachment).
- Gently fold in the peanut butter cups. Place half of the ice cream into an airtight freezer-safe container. Drizzle peanut butter over top. Continue by layering the remaining ice cream over top and drizzling the remaining peanut butter over it. Place in the freezer to firm up for 2-4 hours.
Recipe source: adapted from David Lebovitz, The Perfect Scoop