Rich and Fudgy Peppermint Brownies
Growing up my family was obsessed with anything mint chocolate. You name it, we probably devoured it! One of my favorite recipes has to be my mom’s mint chocolate “oreos,” they’re a Christmas tradition! However the hubby isn’t so keen on mint/peppermint (along with cinnamon and pumpkin), I know… the things I should have asked before we got married 😉 But you know what? He’s willing to try everything I make, and is usually pleasantly surprised! This year he’s taken a liking to pumpkin and peppermint (still working on the cinnamon thing) and I couldn’t be happier! I decided to sneak some peppermint extract and chips into these brownies and they were a huge hit!
I used the base of my triple chocolate brownies for this particular recipe. They’re incredibly rich and fudgy and I thought they’d be perfect with a hint of peppermint extract and a handful of peppermint baking chips. I love how dense they are and how they’re studded with both chocolate chips and chocolate chunks!
They were so easy to whip up (they take less than 30 minutes to bake) and were gone in a jiffy! Our taste testers fell in love with them, and I can’t blame ’em! The peppermint is perfectly balanced (it’s not overpowering) and the texture is spot on. If you want to get extra fancy/have a little more time you can whip up a batch of peppermint frosting to spread over top and then pour some ganache over it… mmm mmm mmm!!!
I hope you’ll enjoy these rich and fudgy peppermint brownies as much as we did! They’re thick, dense and full of decadent chocolate! Happy baking!
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1¾ c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2½ c. sugar
- 1⅓ c. (2 sticks + 6 tbsp) butter
- 4 eggs
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ tsp. peppermint extract
- ¾ c. Andes peppermint crunch baking chips or chopped peppermint bark
- ½ c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ c. bittersweet chocolate chips (60%)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a 9×13 inch pan with parchment or foil, set aside. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Add sugar and cook until the mixture becomes smooth and glossy. Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool for 20 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the cooled (really it can be slightly warm) butter mixture, the vanilla and peppermint extracts. With mixing speed on low add one egg at a time, mixing just until incorporated.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. With mixing speed on low, gradually add dry ingredients. Mix until no flour pockets remain. Remove bowl from stand and fold in the three kinds of chips.
- Spread the brownie batter evenly into the prepared pan. Place in oven and bake for 22-28 minutes or until the brownies are set. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 45 minutes before cutting and serving.
Recipe source: my Triple Chocolate Brownies