Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Thick, creamy and oh so cozy. A big bowl of this delicious chicken gnocchi soup is the perfect way to warm up on a chilly day!
I’ve been meaning to share this recipe for almost a year now! A few of you had asked for it this past fall, but life got busy and I just didn’t have time to write up a post. So here it is! This creamy, comforting soup is based off of my popular sausage and tortellini soup. It’s loaded with carrots, celery, chicken, gnocchi and spinach. Bonus: it only takes 35 minutes to make, start to finish!
Let’s talk gnocchi for a minute. If you’re new to gnocchi, it’s basically a puffy potato pasta/dumpling. You can find it on the pasta aisle or in the refrigerated section of most well stocked grocery stores. I’ve used “packaged” gnocchi twice and “fresh” gnocchi once. They both are great as long as you don’t overcook them. Gnocchi will break down the longer you cook them. They only need to be in the soup for 5 minutes tops (remember, the pot will be full, the liquid is thick and the heat is medium, so it will take longer then what the package recommends).
The most time consuming part about this recipe is the prep. Pulling rotisserie chicken, chopping vegetables, and grabbing spices. Once you’ve turned on the heat, it only takes 20 minutes to make. It’s great for busy weeknights or those night where you don’t feel like cooking but still want a homemade meal.
This creamy, hearty soup has made its appearance at our table more than a few times this past year. It’s easy to make, tastes amazing and reheats perfectly the following day.
Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 4 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ c. all-purpose flour
- 5 c. chicken broth
- 2 c. whole milk
- 1 tsp. kosher sea salt
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 2 c. shredded or cubed rotisserie chicken
- 4 ounces chopped fresh spinach
- 16 oz. packaged or refrigerated gnocchi
- In a large stockpot set over medium heat, add butter. Add onion, shallot, carrot, and celery, sauté for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Add the garlic and sauté for an additional 2 minutes, or until fragrant, stirring occasionally to prevent it from burning.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add in the chicken broth, then milk, whisk to combine. Add salt, Italian seasoning, thyme, pepper, and paprika. Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the rotisserie chicken and spinach and gnocchi. Stir continuously for 1 minute, then simmer for 4 additional minutes. Remove from heat and serve.