Healthier Grab and Go Snacks for Kids
This post is NOT sponsored, all opinions are my own. Products are linked to the company’s website, NOT Amazon. 😊
I don’t really talk about our kids much on here, but yes, we have 3. I get a lot of questions about what we feed our kids (they’re pretty adventurous eaters) and how we “do” snacks. I also get asked quite frequently if we let our kids indulge in all of the treats I make, and the answer is yes, with moderation.
First off, we always feed our kids what we eat. I’ve been against making separate meals for them since day 1. Why? Because that’s how you create a picky eater! Of course, we do still have kid-geared meals. And we do still make food they prefer. For example we love asparagus but the kids are just so so about it. So we’ll make two or three kinds of vegetables and they can eat the ones they like. Does that make sense?
When it comes to snacks, we give them a mid-morning snack and a mid-afternoon snack. We try to keep healthier options available (especially since I usually have one or two baked goods in the kitchen each week). Below are some of our favorite snacks. Ones the kids love and we love too! Simple and wholesome. These are all great grab & go items. You can pack them in lunches, take them in the car, stash them away for incentives, and travel with them.
I’ve also shared some of our favorite containers above 👆. They’re from Sistema [Phthalate and BPA free] and they are perfect for little hands. Kids can easily open and shut them (especially those tiny square ones) and they come in lots of great sizes. You can buy them online, in lots of grocery stores and at Target. BTW most (if not all) of the snacks mentioned below can be purchased at Target or well-stocked grocery stores.
Let’s talk about the good stuff, now ok?!
Here are some of our favorite protein-packed snacks:
- Snack Factory Pretzel Crisps with Justin’s Peanut Butter or Chocolate Hazelnut Butter
- Late July Mini Peanut Butter Crackers (they also have a cheese version too, and lots of yummy chips 😉)
- Vermont Smoke & Cure Mini Jerky Sticks
- Blue Diamond Almonds Honey Roasted Cinnamon
- Roasted and lightly salted cashews
Here are some of our favorite fruit snacks:
- Sun-Maid raisins (they like the yogurt ones too)
- GoGo SqueeZ fruit and veggie purees
- Slammers fruit and veggie purees
- Bare apple chips (they love the reds and granny smith too)
- Brothers freeze-dried apple crisps (the strawberries are a favorite too)
- Soft dried mango (Trader Joes & Sunsweet make the best)
- Bananas, apples, mandarins, berries – anything that isn’t super messy or that can be popped in their mouth one at a time
Our favorite salty snacks include:
- Harvest Snaps
- Angie’s Boom Chicka Pop popcorn (sea salt)
- Cheese crackers- they are always a hit or miss with our kids, but they love the Goldfish saltine crackers. 🤷🏻♀️
Here are some of our favorite dairy snacks: 👇🏻
- Siggi’s 4% mixed berries (if you haven’t tried skyr, it’s a tangier, creamier version of Greek yogurt)
- Stonyfield tubes and pouches (great for on the go, they can be frozen too so you don’t have to pack ice)
- Babybel, but also Tilamook individual slices and regular ole string cheese 🧀
Here are some of our favorite sweet snacks:
- Angie’s Boom Chicka Pop (sweet & salty kettle corn)
- Kind bars (their new mini’s are the perfect size for kiddos)
- Bare chocolate coconut chips… highly addictive much like the kettle corn, just warning you
- Skinny Dipped Almonds, especially the raspberry 😍(they come chocolate too)
- Trail mix, just the traditional is what we stick to
- Peanut Butter & Co Dark Chocolate Dreams (for dipping those pretzels in or spreading on graham crackers)
I hope this little round up was helpful in some way. I know it’s taken a while for me to figure out what our kids like and dislike, but I think we finally figured plenty of good options. Again, these can be found at most stores, I don’t really have time to shop anywhere other than Target or our local grocery store, so that’s where I found these. Of course I’m sure stores like Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s and Aldi have some great options too!
Looking for some delicious homemade snacks? Try some of these!
Or how about some kid-friendly dinner ideas?