This bold and flavorful Chicken and Hatch Chile Stew is ready to go in just 1 hour! It’s loaded with shredded chicken, fresh corn, rice and of course, hatch chiles!
I like to think of this warm & cozy chicken and hatch chile stew as the perfect rainy day meal! We’ve had a few cold spells over the past few weeks, but the weather is still in the 80’s and 90’s. I’m dying guys. I want it to be sweater/boot/hot cocoa weather already! Who’s with me?!
So when it stormed the other day we headed to the store, grabbed a rotisserie chicken and made a huge pot of this stew! I don’t know about you, but I love when it’s hatch chile season. Our local grocery store roasts them and sells them along with all of their hatch chile goodies and I can’t ever seem to get enough (watch out because next year I’m gonna make a killer loaf of bread with them in it)! I chopped some of ours up and added them to the chile verde base, which added a nice little kick. Normally I don’t think of them as being very spicy (the canned ones are very mild) but the fresh ones were amazing!!
I couldn’t help but go back for seconds. I needed more!! Seriously though, we licked our bowls clean! My husband loved the addition of the rice and so did I (I contemplated adding beans but then thought… that’s basically this soup), it made it a bit more hearty and filling. Plus I didn’t feel like I had to make anything else to go along with it (I just sliced up some fruit and a threw together a side salad). Of course if you want to, I’d highly suggest my buttermilk cornbread– it’s the best!
Next time you’re at the store, grab a rotisserie chicken, some corn, chile verde and hatch chiles and make this stew! You won’t regret it, I promise!
Chicken and Hatch Chile Stew Recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion - diced
- 1 cup corn - (from about 2 ears)*
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 Hatch chiles - (fire roasted), seeds removed and diced (If you can't find fresh, then use cans - see notes below)**
- 1 (16 oz) jar salsa verde
- 4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 lime - juiced
- 1 small rotisserie chicken - pulled
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro - chopped
- 1/2 cup long grain white rice
- lime wedges
- avocado chunks
- tortilla strips
- sour cream
- In a large large stock pot or Dutch oven set over medium heat, heat the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion and corn, cook until fragrant, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, then sprinkle in the coriander, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper and continue stirring/cooking for an additional minute or so.
- Add the hatch chiles, salsa verde, chicken stock, water and lime juice. Turn the heat up and bring the mixture to a boil. Add the chicken and cilantro, simmer for 20 minutes. Pour in the rice, cook until tender, about 15 minutes or so. Garnish and serve immediately.