- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 16 Tbsp (2 sticks) butter - room temperature
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp water - lukewarm
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup sprinkles or coarse sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together butter and sugar until creamy. Add 1 egg yolk at a time, mixing after each addition. Add vanilla extract, water, and lemon zest, mix until just combined.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk to together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. With mixing speed on low, gradually add the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined.
- Form cookies by using a medium size scoop. Roll the tops (or the mounded side) in sprinkles or sugar (keeping the flat side or bottom free of any sugar). Place balls onto prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Do not flatten the cookies, they will do so on their own.
- Place in oven and bake for 14-16 minutes or until the the edges begin to brown and the cookies are cracked. Remove from oven and allow cookies to remain on the cookie sheet for 3-4 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Adapted from All Recipes, Cracked Sugar Cookies