Homemade Tomato Soup Recipe
Goes great with a grilled cheese sandwich!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr
- 4 tbsp butte divided
- 1 medium yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot peeled and grated
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 (28) ounce can whole San Marzano tomatoes
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp kosher sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2-3 fresh basil leaves (optional)
- 2/3 cup cooked cannelini beans rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup heavy cream (optional)
Set a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of butter and melt. Once melted add the onion. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until soft. Add the carrot and garlic, continue cooking for an additional minute.
Add tomatoes, broth, sugar, salt, pepper, and basil (if desired). Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the beans and cook an additional 5 minutes.
Remove from the heat and stir in remaining butter and cream (if desired). Carefully pour into a high speed blender (or use an immersion blender). Blend soup until creamy and smooth.
Serve hot. Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Calories: 156.78kcal | Carbohydrates: 8.48g | Protein: 3.42g | Fat: 12.99g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 38.18mg | Sodium: 533.81mg | Potassium: 136.87mg | Fiber: 1.59g | Sugar: 2.39g | Vitamin A: 2126.05IU | Vitamin C: 2.27mg | Calcium: 35.3mg | Iron: 0.66mg