Chicken Fajita Soup Recipe
Chicken fajita soup is packed with all the flavors of sizzling fajitas. It's wholesome, filling, and easily customizable.
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. chicken breast cut into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper cut into thin 1-inch strips
- 1 green bell pepper cut into thin 1-inch strips
- 1 medium onion cut into thin 1-inch strips
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. coarse kosher sea salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Mexican seasoning blend
- 1 tsp. paprika smoked or regular
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 6 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed
- 3/4 c. fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 c. white rice
- 1/4 c. chopped cilantro
- juice of 1 lime
In a large stockpot or Dutch oven set over medium heat, add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook until browned, about 6-8 minutes.
Add the bell peppers and onion, sauté for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle in the chili powder, salt, garlic powder, Mexican seasoning blend, paprika, cumin, and black pepper. Stir for 1 minute, then pour in the chicken broth, beans and diced tomatoes.
Bring the mixture to a gently boil. Allow to cook, uncovered for 10 minutes. Add the rice, stir, and cover. Cook for 12 minutes, then remove the lid and stir in the cilantro and lime juice. Once the rice is cooked throughout, remove from the heat and serve immediately.
-Don't want to buy the Mexican seasoning blend? Add 1/2 tsp. oregano instead.
-Don't want to use rice? Add a can of pinto beans!
Calories: 337kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 431mg | Potassium: 774mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1986IU | Vitamin C: 36mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 3mg