Mom's Green Enchiladas Recipe
Mom's green enchiladas are always a big hit! They're loaded with seasoned shredded chicken, sour cream, LOTS of cheese, and topped with a green chile sauce.
For the Filling
- 7-8 soft flour tortillas soft taco size
- 3/4 cup sour cream regular or light
- 3 cup shredded chicken a little more or less won't hurt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar and monterey jack blend
For the Topping
- 1 (15 oz) can green chile enchilada sauce
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar and monterey jack blend
- 1/3 cup green onion diced
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped cilantro
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray the bottom of a deep 9x13-inch pan with cooking spray, set aside.
Spread about 1 1/2 tablespoons of sour cream into the center of each tortilla, top about 1/3 cup of chicken, then sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of cheese. Roll up (you don't need to tuck the ends) and place seam down into the baking dish.
Top with enchilada sauce, cheese and green onion. Wrap tightly with foil and place in the oven. Bake covered for 30 minutes, then remove the foil and continue baking for an additional 15 minutes or until the top gets crispy.
Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 8 minutes before serving. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
- For the chicken: 4 medium boneless skinless chicken thighs + 1 large chicken breast. In the bowl of a slow cooker or Instant Pot, saute 1/4 c. diced yellow onion and 2 cloves minced garlic. Add chicken, 1/2 c. chicken broth, 2 tbsp. diced green chiles, 1 tsp. kosher sea salt, 1 tsp. chili powder, 1/2 tsp. paprika, 1/2 tsp. cumin, 1/2 tsp. coriander, 1/4 tsp. oregano, 1/4 tsp. crushed dried chipotle chiles. If using a traditional slow cooker, cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4. If using the Instant Pot, use the manual mode and pressure cook for 15 minutes. Shred with two forks and toss in about 3 tbsp. of the liquid.
Calories: 2816kcal | Carbohydrates: 119g | Protein: 196g | Fat: 170g | Saturated Fat: 90g | Cholesterol: 701mg | Sodium: 3662mg | Potassium: 1895mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 4464IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 2524mg | Iron: 15mg