Brazilian Cheese Bread Recipe
Pão de queijo, also known as Brazilian cheese bread, is a savory pastry from Brazil. It is soft and delicious and best served straight from the oven.
Servings: 12 rolls
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cup tapioca flour*
- 1 cup part skim mozzarella finely shredded
- 1/2 cup cotija OR queso fresco OR parmesan cheese, finely shredded
- 2 eggs room temperature(see notes)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking pan with parchment and set aside.
In a large saucepan placed over medium-high heat, boil the milk, oil, and salt, whisking occasionally. Remove when you start to see large bubbles forming. Working quickly, stir in the tapioca flour. The dough will become VERY tacky and gummy. It will almost become gelatinous.
Transfer the dough to the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Turn mixing speed on low and gradually increase to medium. Beat the mixture for 2-3 minutes until it begins to become smooth. Add the grated cheeses and incorporate. Turn the mixing speed down to low and add the eggs one at a time, beat on medium for 2-3 minutes until a sticky, stretchy dough forms.
Using an ice cream scoop, create portions by dipping the scoop in water, scooping the batter and placing onto the prepared baking sheet. Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the tops and sides are lightly golden in color and the outsides are crisp (they may look a little greasy but that's just from the cheese, they won't be greasy when they cool).
Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the sheet for a few minutes before serving.
- Tapioca flour can be found in the baking aisle at most grocery stores with a natural foods section or a specialty store like Whole Foods. Bob's Red Mill was the brand I used.
- To quickly bring eggs to room temperature, place in a bowl of warm water for 5 minutes, remove and use.
Serving: 12g | Calories: 208kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 389mg | Potassium: 53mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 144IU | Calcium: 131mg | Iron: 1mg