Peanut Butter Buckeyes Recipe
Peanut Butter Buckeyes are dangerously addictive. These chocolate covered peanut butter balls take advantage of a well loved flavor combination—peanut butter and chocolate.
Servings: 25 balls
For the Buckeyes
- 8 tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 (16 oz) jar creamy peanut butter
- 1/4-1/2 tsp kosher sea salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 lb powdered sugar
For the Coating
- 1 (10 oz) bag semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp vegetable shortening
In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter, peanut butter, salt and vanilla until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. With mixing speed on low, gradually add the powdered sugar and mix until combined.
Using a 1/2 teaspoon or 3/4 teaspoon create balls of dough (round with hands), set on parchment lined baking sheets.
For the chocolate chips or melting wafers, melt over double boiler (add wax or shortening). When smooth and melted, dip each ball into the chocolate (you can use a fork to remove the balls or a toothpick).
Once the balls are dipped, return them to the parchment lined sheets. Place in the refrigerator to set for 30 minutes, then store in an airtight container for up to three weeks.
-You can dip these in milk chocolate too.
Alternate ways to coat the buckeyes:
- 1 (10 oz.) bag semisweet chocolate chips + 1/4 bar paraffin wax OR 2 (12 oz.) bags dark chocolate melting wafers OR 16 oz. 60%-70% chocolate (Guittard, Callebaut, or Valrhona)
Serving: 25g | Calories: 121kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 56mg | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 114IU | Calcium: 1mg | Iron: 1mg