Sticky Asian Meatballs
You’re going to love these tender, flavorful sticky asian meatballs! They’re easy to make and ready to serve in just 30 minutes!
I always appreciate a quick & delicious meal, especially one that I know my kids will love, and that will (if were not all starving) potentially lead to leftovers for lunch the next day! Who’s with me? ????
The base of this recipe comes from my orange chicken meatballs, I just swapped out the chicken for pork and added a bit of grated carrot… because I’m always sneaking in extra veggies here and there. #momlife
Roll into balls, place on a lined baking sheet and place in the oven to bake a 450 degrees for 15 minutes. They’ll get nice and crispy while reaming extra tender on the inside. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, whisk all of the ingredients for the sauce together, bring to a simmer, and then turn down the heat and let it cook for a few minutes so that it thickens a bit. Place the cooked meatballs in a large mixing bowl and toss to coat.
Serve hot on their own OR serve over a bed of rice and stir-fried veggies. Since we wanted these to be a main dish instead of an appetizer, we chose the second option. They were flavorful and so was the sauce. I really loved that the sauce wasn’t overly sweet (these are not teriyaki meatballs or sesame meatballs, although I may have to make those ASAP), but more garlicky and with a tiny kick from the red pepper flakes. They will definitely be a regular around here!
- For the meatballs:
- ¼ c. milk
- ½ c. panko breadcrumbs
- 1½ lb. ground pork (or chicken)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. green onion, minced
- 3 tbsp. finely grated carrot
- 2 tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- For the sauce:
- ½ c. hoisin sauce
- ¼ c. rice vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- Optional garnishes:
- Sesame seeds
- Sliced green onion
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a standard size baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the milk and panko breadcrumbs. Allow to soak for 5 minutes. Add the pork, egg, garlic, green onion, carrot, soy sauce, ginger, salt and pepper. Using your hands, mix together just until combined (overworking it will cause the meatballs to be dense).
- Shape into meatballs and place onto the prepared baking sheet. Place in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes or until cooked throughout (internal temperature of 165).
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan set over medium-low heat, combine the hoisin, vinegar, garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, ground ginger, and red pepper flakes. Bring the mixture to a low simmer, then reduce heat to low and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Place the meatballs in a large bowl and cover with sauce. Toss to coat, serve hot. Garnish with sesame seeds and sliced green onion, if desired.
Recipe source: Life Made Simple