Chicken and Hatch Chile Stew
I like to think of this warm & cozy chicken and hatch chile stew as the perfect rainy day meal! We’ve had a few cold spells over the past few weeks, but the weather is still in the 80’s and 90’s. I’m dying guys. I want it to be sweater/boot/hot cocoa weather already! ????☕️???? Who’s with me?!
So when it stormed the other day we headed to the store, grabbed a rotisserie chicken and made a huge pot of this stew! I don’t know about you, but I love when it’s hatch chile season. Our local grocery store roasts them and sells them along with all of their hatch chile goodies and I can’t ever seem to get enough (watch out because next year I’m gonna make a killer loaf of bread with them in it)! I chopped some of ours up and added them to the chile verde base, which added a nice little kick. Normally I don’t think of them as being very spicy (the canned ones are very mild) but the fresh ones were amazing!!????????
I couldn’t help but go back for seconds. I needed more!! Seriously though, we licked our bowls clean! My husband loved the addition of the rice and so did I (I contemplated adding beans but then thought… that’s basically this soup), it made it a bit more hearty and filling. Plus I didn’t feel like I had to make anything else to go along with it (I just sliced up some fruit and a threw together a side salad). Of course if you want to, I’d highly suggest my buttermilk cornbread– it’s the best!
Next time you’re at the store, grab a rotisserie chicken, some corn, chile verde & hatch chiles and make this stew! You won’t regret it, I promise!
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 c. fresh corn (from about 2 ears)*
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. coriander
- 1½ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 fire roasted Hatch chiles, seeds removed and diced**
- 1 (16-oz.) jar salsa verde (I used Guy Fieri's)
- 4 c. low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 c. water
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 small rotisserie chicken, pulled
- 1 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ c. long-grain white rice
- Optional garnishes:
- Lime wedges
- Avocado chunks
- Crispy tortilla strips
- Sour Cream
- In a large large stock pot or Dutch oven set over medium heat, heat the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion and corn, cook until fragrant, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, then sprinkle in the coriander, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper and continue stirring/cooking for an additional minute or so.
- Add the hatch chiles, salsa verde, chicken stock, water and lime juice. Turn the heat up and bring the mixture to a boil. Add the chicken and cilantro, simmer for 20 minutes. Pour in the rice, cook until tender, about 15 minutes or so. Garnish and serve immediately.
**About 2 (4-oz.) cans
Recipe source: Life Made Simple