Homemade Queso Dip
This creamy & flavorful homemade queso dip is the perfect party app. It’s easy to make and even easier to devour! Plus no processed cheese required. ????????
It wasn’t until I moved to Utah that I had queso dip for the first time… and it didn’t disappoint! I’ve always wanted to make my own but hated the idea of using a chunk of processed cheese. So after doing a little research I found a recipe that sounded pretty awesome. After making a few adjustments here and there I wound up with a big ole skillet full of liquid gold- I’m talking about the queso!! ????
There are a bunch of ingredients that really make this dip extra awesome. For starters the cheese!! I originally used Tillamook’s sharp cheddar but have since re-made it with mild and white cheddar. Along with the cheddar I used cream cheese for extra richness. For the seasoning I added some hatch chilies, coriander and paprika to kick up the flavor a bit.
All you need to do is saute the veggies, add in some chiles, pour in some cream and toss in the cornstarch. When the mixture thickens, add the cream cheese and seasonings and lower the heat. Sprinkle in the cheese a little at a time and whisk, whisk, whisk.
Serve it up piping hot!! Dip, eat and repeat. Or pour over a big pile of chips and garnish with all of the fixin’s. I promise however you decided to use this homemade queso dip, you’ll want to lick your plate clean!
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. minced onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1-2 tbsp. chopped chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 2 tbsp. chopped canned green chilies
- 1¾ c. half & half
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 4 oz. (1/2 block) cream cheese, cut into cubes and softened*
- 2 tsp. ground mustard
- ⅛ tsp. ground paprika
- ⅛ tsp. ground coriander
- pinch black pepper
- 8 oz. mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 oz. white cheddar cheese, shredded**
- In a large skillet set over medium heat add the butter. When the butter has melted, add the onion, garlic and jalapeño. Saute for 3-4 minutes or until soft and fragrant. Add the chopped chilies, then the half & half. Whisk in the cornstarch and bring to a low simmer. Turn the heat to low, whisk in the mustard, paprika, coriander and black pepper.
- When the mixture is smooth, sprinkle in the cheese a little at a time and continue to whisk until smooth and creamy. Serve immediately.
**Try swapping out the white cheddar for pepper jack!
-You can easily add seasoned ground beef or sirloin tips to this dip!
-If you plan on making this ahead of time, store in the refrigerator until needed, place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the queso to prevent a skin from forming. Reheat in a skillet or in a small crockpot warmer (you may need to add a splash or two of half and half to loosen it up).
Recipe source: adapted from A Spicy Perspective