Creamy Sausage and Tortellini Soup
Creamy sausage and tortellini soup is a bowl full of comfort! It’s loaded with veggies, sausage and cheese tortellini- plus it comes together in just 45 minutes!
I love soup, but I have to be honest, my kids hate it. For those of you who are new here, my kids aren’t picky eaters, in fact, they’re quite the opposite. There’s just something about soup that totally weirds them out, except for of course, chili, chicken & noodles, and this creamy sausage and tortellini soup. They ate an entire bowl and then some. Yessss!! ???? It’s creamy without being heavy, full of veggies, and loaded with pillowy cheese tortellini. Who wouldn’t love it?!
This recipe is super simple and it comes together in 45 minutes. You probably have half of the ingredients on hand, and the others are really easy to find. It tastes amazing the day it’s made, and delicious the day after. Did I mention it requires only 1 pot?! Oh yeah!
To start you’ll brown 1 pound of Italian sausage in your stockpot. Transfer it to a paper towel lined plate. Using the remaining grease (about 1 tablespoon or so), sauté the onion, shallot and carrots, sauté for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are nice and soft. Add the garlic and sauté for an additional 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
Whisk in 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add in the chicken stock, whisk to combine. Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 6 minutes.
Pat as much grease as possible off of the sausage (that way you wont have excess grease on the top of the soup) , then add it along with the tortellini, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, chopped spinach, and half & half. Simmer for 5 minutes, or until the tortellini is fully cooked.
Ladle it into serving bowls and garnish with freshly grated parmesan. We served ours with some crusty bread and a side salad, and like I mentioned above, it was gone in seconds!
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ c. all-purpose flour
- 5 c. chicken broth
- 14 oz. refrigerated cheese tortellini*
- 1 tsp. kosher sea salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. Italian seasoning
- 6 ounces chopped fresh spinach
- 2 c. half & half (or heavy cream)
- In a large stockpot set over medium-high, cook the sausage until browned. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked sausage to a paper towel lined plate; set aside.
- Add onion, shallot and carrot, sauté for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Add the garlic and sauté for an additional 2 minutes, or until fragrant, stirring occasionally to prevent it from burning.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add in the chicken broth, whisk to combine. Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 6 minutes.
- Pat as much grease as possible off of the sausage, then add it along with the tortellini, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, spinach, and half & half. Simmer for 5 minutes, or until the tortellini is fully cooked.
- Serve immediately with freshly grated parmesan, if desired.
*You can use whatever stuffed tortellini you prefer.
Recipe source: adapted from Gimme Some Oven