This creamy & flavorful homemade queso dip is the perfect party app. It’s easy to make and even easier to devour! Plus, no processed cheese required.
No Processed Cheese!
It wasn’t until I moved to Utah that I had queso dip for the first time… and it didn’t disappoint! I’ve always wanted to make my own but hated the idea of using a chunk of processed cheese.
So, after doing a little research I found a recipe that sounded pretty awesome. After making a few adjustments here and there I wound up with a big ole skillet full of liquid gold—I’m talking about the queso!!
There are a bunch of ingredients that really make this dip extra awesome.
- Cheese: I originally used Tillamook’s sharp cheddar but have since re-made it with mild and white cheddar.
- Cream Cheese: Along with the cheddar I used cream cheese for extra richness.
- Seasonings: For the seasoning I added some hatch chilies, coriander and paprika to kick up the flavor a bit.
How to Make Queso Dip
This queso comes together fairly quickly in one pot over the stove!
SAUTE + THICKEN. All you need to do is saute the veggies, add in some chiles, pour in some cream and toss in the cornstarch. When the mixture thickens, add the cream cheese and seasonings and lower the heat.
ADD CHEESE. Sprinkle in the cheese a little at a time and whisk, whisk, whisk. Once the cheese is fully incorporated, it’s ready to serve. (Note: Adding the cheese in little by little will prevent any lumps from forming.)
And that’s it!
To make this in the crockpot: Place all of the ingredients in the crockpot and cook on low for 4 hours, stirring occasionally. Keep it on warm until you’re ready to serve.
Additions + Serving Ideas
To change the flavor or give it some substance, try adding any of these:
- Chorizo or ground beef
- Chopped bell peppers
- Can of rotel tomatoes
Serve it up piping hot!! Dip, eat and repeat. Or pour over a big pile of tortilla chips and garnish with all of the nacho fixin’s. I promise however you decided to use this homemade queso dip, you’ll want to lick your plate clean!
Keep Warm: This queso will harden after 10 minutes or so if it cools too much. If you’re serving it as a party appetizer, keep it on the warm setting in the crockpot. If you don’t want to keep it in the crockpot you can microwave and stir it once it starts to get cold.
Storing Leftover Queso
STORE any leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container. It should last for 3-4 days
You can FREEZE cheese dip very easily. You just need to let it cool completely before placing in an airtight container(make sure you leave ½ inch of space for expansion). It will last for about a month.
Reheat: Add a splash of milk before reheating in the microwave. Reheat in 30 second intervals while making sure that the milk mixes into the cheese mixture. You can also reheat it on the stove with a little bit of milk, stirring occasionally.
Make ahead: You can make this a couple of hours ahead of time and keep it on warm in the crockpot until you’re ready to serve it.
For more tasty dips, try:
- Homemade Onion Dip
- Jalapeno Popper Dip
- 5 Minute Restaurant Style Salsa
- Restaurant Style Guacamole
- Roasted Salsa Verde
Homemade Queso Dip Recipe
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp onion - minced
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 jalapeno - seeded and minced
- 1-2 tbsp chipotle peppers in adobo sauce - chopped
- 2 tbsp canned green chiles - chopped
- 1 3/4 cup half and half
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 oz cream cheese - cut into cubes and softened*
- 2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/8 tsp ground paprika
- 1/8 tsp ground coriander
- pinch black pepper
- 8 oz mild cheddar cheese - shredded
- 4 oz white cheddar cheese - shredded**
- In a large skillet set over medium heat add the butter. When the butter has melted, add the onion, garlic and jalapeño. Saute for 3-4 minutes or until soft and fragrant. Add the chopped chilies, then the half & half. Whisk in the cornstarch and bring to a low simmer. Turn the heat to low, whisk in the mustard, paprika, coriander and black pepper.
- When the mixture is smooth, sprinkle in the cheese a little at a time and continue to whisk until smooth and creamy. Serve immediately.