This hearty tuscan lentil soup is packed full of veggies and protein! It’s a breeze to make and can easily feed a crowd!
Hey ???? !! I’m back with another lentil soup recipe. I hope you’re not tired of them yet, I know I’m not. ???? This particular soup is inspired by a really popular Tuscan soup… chances are you’ve probably tried it before (and enjoyed some endless salad and breadsticks with it too). I’m making it *slightly* healthier by adding a few more veggies, ditching the cream and loading it with LENTILS.
If you’ve never cooked with lentils before, I’m here to tell you that you need to! ⭐️???? They’re basically little teeny tiny superfoods ????⭐️ Packed full of protein, fiber and B-vitamins. Just rinse them well in a colander (I used my OXO Rice & Grains Washing Colander which was awesome because I didn’t have to worry about them falling through slits) and toss them into the boiling broth.
While the soup is simmering, you’ll want to get the remaining veggies prepped. Start by slicing the zucchini (I used my OXO Adjustable Hand-Held Mandoline Slicer to get even slices, plus it was super quick) and chopping the cherry tomatoes.
See that awesome little gadget up there? ???? It’s gonna be my new best friend. Just pop the tomatoes in and press. It slices them perfectly! I’m definitely going to be using OXO’s Grape & Tomato Cutter on the regular, not just for tomatoes, but for grapes too- it’s totally going to save this momma some time! ????????????
Anyway, back to the recipe. After the lentils and potatoes have simmered for about 10 minutes, you can toss in the zucchini and tomato and let everything cook for 15 minutes or so. When the lentils are tender, add the spinach and let it wilt. ????
Serve it up piping hot and enjoy with a sprinkle of shaved parmesan cheese!
This soup is definitely going into our regular rotation.I really, really, like that it’s filling, flavorful and packed full of veggies and protein. ???????? Not only did we love it, but our toddler did too! Next time you’re in the mood for something a little different, I hope you’ll give this recipe a try.
Tuscan Lentil Soup Recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage - spicy, mild, OR sweet
- 1 yellow onion - diced
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp kosher sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 small russet potatoes - cubed
- 1 cup dry green lentils
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes - quartered
- 1 zucchini - thinly sliced
- 3 cup fresh spinach
- In a large stock pot or Dutch-oven set over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, the add the sausage and cook until browned, about 5 minutes; drain any excess fat.
- Stir in the garlic and onion, cook until fragrant. Sprinkle in the oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, paprika, salt and black pepper. Add the bay leaf and then pour in the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then add the potatoes and lentils and cook for 10 minutes.
- After the 10 minutes, add in the tomatoes and zucchini, continue simmering for 15 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Stir in the spinach and wilt, about 2 minutes. Serve immediately, top with parmesan shavings if desired.
Disclosure: This is not a paid or sponsored post, however I received free product from OXO for participating in this campaign. All recipes and opinions are my own.