Thick & Chewy Better Than The Boxed Brownies
This past weekend we traveled to Virginia for a wedding and to DC to see friends. It was such a quick trip for the three of us but we had such a great time seeing everyone! I meant to post this recipe on Monday, but somehow during all of the hustle and bustle before our trip, it was the last thing on my to-do list and it just didn’t get done. So without further adieu, I give you our FAVORITE BROWNIES EVER.
That’s right, I said it. The word favorite does not get used lightly in our house. Especially when it comes to brownies… just ask my husband. He’s a brownie connoisseur and absolutely loves the Ghirardelli boxed brownies from Costco. They
are were his favorite.
But these thick & chewy better than the boxed brownies, well, they’re are a game changer people. It took me over 8 times to get the recipe perfected. That’s a lot of taste testing!!! So what makes these brownies so amazing? Let’s find out…
First of all they’re so easy to make. And they’re relatively quick too! I don’t like making a huge mess in the kitchen and I hate that brownies take so long to bake! This recipe requires melting the butter and the sugar together in the microwave and needs only 25 minutes to bake!
To start, like I mentioned above, you’re going to want to melt the butter and sugar together in a microwave safe bowl. This is what gives you that nice shiny cracked top. In my microwave on HIGH, it only takes about 1 minute and 15 seconds. Once the mixture is hot, set it on your counter, stir it together and let it sit for 5 minutes before stirring in the vanilla and cocoa powder. If you add the vanilla too soon it will evaporate and we definitely don’t want that! Once the mixture has cooled enough to where it’s warm, add it to a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Since I have a KitchenAid I used that.
Turn the mixing speed on low and add one cold egg at a time. After the eggs are incorporated, whisk together your dry ingredients in a small mixing bowl. The secret to these thick & chewy brownies is the cornstarch, so don’t skip it! It may seem like a weird ingredient but I thick it adds a wonderful texture to bars and cookies.
With your mixing speed on low again, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Beat on medium-low for about 30 seconds, then fold in the chocolate chips and chunks. The combination of chunks and chips is key to making these brownies taste like the boxed mix. The chips stay intact in the baking process and give you that “crunch” if you will. The chopped baking bar chunks melt into the brownies and create pockets of silky fudgy goodness. They also help keep the brownies moist and tender. Once the chocolate has been incorporated, pour it into the prepared pan and place it in the oven.
Bake these brownies at 325 degrees for approximately 22-25 minutes. Pretty quick, huh?! They should be set in the centers before removing. Let them cool in the pan for 30-45 minutes before cutting and serving… if you can resist for that long 😉 We absolutely loved these brownies. My husband gave them the stamp of approval and said that they were by far the best/closest recipe to his favorite boxed brownies. I can’t wait to make them for him again!
DON’T FORGET TO WATCH MY VIDEO TUTORIAL HERE!
Thick & Chewy Better Than The Boxed Brownies
These thick & chewy brownies are so much better than the boxed mix!!! They’re a quick and easy alternative that will have you coming back for more!
- ½ c. all-purpose flour*
- ¾ c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1¼ c. sugar
- 1 stick + 3 tbsp. (11 tbsp.) unsalted butter
- 2 eggs, cold
- 1/8 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch*
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ c. chocolate chips, milk or semi-sweet
- ¼ c. semi-sweet baking bar*, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a 8×8 inch pan with parchment or foil, set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the butter and sugar. Heat in the microwave on HIGH for about 1 minute and 15 seconds. Remove, stir, and cool on the counter for 5 minutes, then stir in the vanilla extract and cocoa powder.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer add the warm (but not hot) butter/sugar mixture. With mixing speed on low add one egg at a time, mixing just until incorporated.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt. With mixing speed on low, gradually add dry ingredients. Mix until no flour pockets remain. Remove bowl from stand and fold in the chocolate chips and chunks.
- Spread the brownie batter evenly into the prepared pan. Place in the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes or until the brownies are set. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 30-45 minutes before cutting and serving.
*I love using a Ghirardelli baking bar for the chopped chocolate.
-This recipe can easily be doubled to fit a 9×13 inch pan. The bake time might increase by 3-5 minutes. It will make approximately 24 brownies. I used a metal pan for these brownies, not pyrex.
*1/2 c. of cake flour can be substituted for the all-purpose flour and cornstarch.