Cheesy Vegetable Chowder
Ok, ok, I know I’ve been posting a lot of soup recipes on the blog lately, but this one is gold. It’s thick, cheesy and loaded with all kinds of veggies. You need to make this one ASAP!! ????
We’ve been really under the weather… for the past week and a half. Which basically feels like an eternity when you’ve got two sick kids… and you’re sick too. Soup has been our best friend (and so has take-out) along with anything else I can taste, which isn’t much. I made this chowder a few weeks back, but we loved it so much I had to make it again.
It’s packed full of veggies- including a new favorite: celeriac aka celery root. It’s also loaded with cheese, so it kind of balances all the good stuff out. Wait, what? ???? Cheese IS the good stuff! ????
Anyway, back to the recipe. It’s pretty heavy on the prep work. There are lots of veggies to peel, slice, chop and dice. But it’s totally worth it. You’ll see.
The veggies get sauteed and simmered in your main stock pot while the sauce gets made in separate pan. Everything gets mixed together in the end along with the cheese, which creates a really smooth, creamy soup. I’m not exaggerating when I say I ate three bowls of this soup. It was soooo good! It also reheated really well the next day, which was awesome, because you can bet I didn’t feel like making lunch. ???? I hope you’ll give this recipe a try. It’s definitely a new favorite of ours!!
See how to make this cheesy vegetable chowder in my video below:
- 5 tbsp butter, divided
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 c. or a 32 oz. box, low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-3/4 inch cubes
- 1 celery root, peeled and cut into ¼ inch cubes
- 2 medium heads broccoli, chopped into florets
- 1 small head cauliflower, chopped into florets
- ¼ tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- pinch paprika and cayenne pepper
- 6 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 c. milk (1%, 2% or whole)
- ½ c. half & half (non-fat, low-fat or regular)
- 2 c. shredded medium or sharp cheddar cheese (8 oz block)
- In a large pot over set over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of butter. When the butter has melted, add the carrots, celery and onion and saute for 4 minutes. Add garlic and saute for a minute longer. Stir in the chicken broth, potatoes, celery root, thyme, salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium, cover and allow to simmer for 15 minutes (or until the potatoes are almost tender). Stir in the broccoli and cauliflower, cook for 5-7 minutes longer or until veggies are tender.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook, whisking constantly for about a minute. Slowly pour in the milk, whisking vigorously as you add the milk little by little. Whisk until smooth. Constantly whisk as the mixture comes to a gentle boil. When it begins to thicken add the half & half, then remove from heat and pour into the soup (after the veggies are fully cooked). Stir everything together, then turn the heat off. Gradually add the cheddar, stirring until the soup is nice and smooth.
Recipe source: adapted from Cooking Classy