This veggie pizza has a thick and creamy garlic white sauce, garden fresh vegetables, and lots of cheese! Meatless pizza has never tasted this good!
I love switching up the weeknight pizza cravings. For some more delicious pizza twists try Quick + Easy Mexican Pizza, Pepperoni Pizza Pinwheels, or 5 Ingredient Pizza Bagel Bites.
Our Favorite Meatless Pizza
It’s no secret that we love pizza! If it were up to my husband, we’d have it at least 4 times a week! As it is, we usually try to do pizza and a movie family Friday. It is a much loved weekday tradition.
To spice it up each week, I’m always trying to switch up the toppings. Some of our past faves have been: classic pepperoni, buffalo chicken, spinach artichoke, and hawaiian bbq.
This pizza however, is a little different… it’s meatless. GASP! I know, I didn’t think it’d ever make the cut, but you know what, it’s a favorite of mine! It reminds me of a pizza my family ordered when I was a kid, and I loved it back then too!
It’s got a nice crisp crust, a creamy garlic white sauce, tender veggies and a blend of three kinds of cheese. YUM!!
How to Make Vegetable Pizza
CRUST: As far as the dough goes, you can use store bought OR homemade. I have two favorite dough recipes, one is a one hour version, the other is a 24 hour version. Both are delicious, but yield slightly different results. The 1 hour produces a more “American” style crust, and the 24 hour ferments and produces a bubbly “Italian” style crust.
PRE-BAKE: Roll out the dough, I pre-baked it on my new Non-Stick Pro Pizza Pan (the micro-textured pattern helps improve airflow for even baking). After about 5 minutes in the oven at 500 degreees.
TOPPINGS: Remove the crust from the oven, spread the sauce over top, cheese and toppings.
BAKE: Toss it back in until the veggies are tender and the crust is nice and crisp, about 12 minutes.
REST, SLICE, & SERVE: After letting the pizza rest, I cut into it with my non-stick safe wheel and served it up. All I can say is that this may be the most flavorful, veggie-packed pizza you’ll ever eat! It’s not your traditional bell pepper, olive and mushroom combo, instead it’s loaded with garden-fresh veggies! Give this one a try, I think you’ll really like it!!
Grilling: You can grill the veggies to give them that charcoaled flavor, and even cook the pizza on the grill! To do this, turn the grill to high heat and cook one side of the plain pizza dough for about two minutes. Add sauce, cheese, and toppings to the cooked side and return to the grill to cook the other side of dough and melt the cheese.
Veggie Pizza Toppings & Tips
How to thicken the sauce? If your sauce is too thin you can let it cool and thicken or you can add a cornstarch and water slurry. Start with equal parts water and cornstarch and combine it together into a paste/slurry. Mix this into your sauce to thicken it up. With this method you won’t have any chunks of powder in your pasta sauce.
What kind of cheese? I used a blend of mozzarella, Monterey jack and parmesan. Bottled parmesan cheese (the powdery kind) doesn’t melt so nicely. I recommend using a block of parmesan cheese that you shred yourself.
Here are some suggestions for other vegetables/toppings you could include on your veggie pizza:
- Red pepper
- Red onion
- Pineapple (not a vegetable, but it’s a tasty meatless topping!)
Storing, Freezing, & Reheating
Store leftovers: Let the pizza cool completely and then layer your slices of pizza with parchment paper in an airtight bag or tupperware container.
Freeze: Place the whole pizza on a baking sheet and freeze as is until it’s solid (about 3 hours). After this, take it out and double wrap it in plastic wrap and then wrap it in foil (if it fits, place it in a gallon ziploc bag). Freeze it for up to 3 months, then bake from frozen until warmed through if already cooked. If the pizza is uncooked, let it cook until the cheese is bubbly and melted.
Reheat: You can reheat your pizza in the oven or in the microwave. Reheating the pizza in the oven will give the crispness back to the crust but you also risk the pizza drying out. You can add a tablespoon or so of water to the pan that will prevent the burning of the pizza.
For more pizza recipes, check out:
- Homemade Pizza Recipe
- Cauliflower Pizza Crust
- Chicken Pesto Pizza
- Pepperoni Pizza Pinwheels
- Buffalo Chicken Pizza
Veggie Pizza Recipe
- 1 ball pizza dough - store bought or homemade*
For the Sauce
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp kosher sea salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
For the Topping
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup marinated artichokes - drained and diced
- 1/2 yellow squash - thinly sliced
- 1/2 zucchini - thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp red onion - diced
- 2 tbsp green onion - sliced
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp kosher sea salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- To make sauce, in a small saucepan set over medium heat, melt butter. Add minced garlic, stir and cook for 1 minute. Add flour, cook for 1 minute. Add milk and whisk continuously until a smooth. As the mixture thickens, season with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Simmer for 5 minutes, then reduce from heat and add the parmesan. Let cool for 15 minutes before using.
- Roll out the dough into a 16" circle. Place on the pizza pan, then fold the overhanging dough over to form the crust. Press the edge to seal. Brush with olive oil, then bake for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Spread the sauce over the pizza peel, then top with spinach, artichokes, mozzarella cheese and monterey jack cheese. Add the zucchini, yellow squash, red onion, diced tomato, green onion, oregano, red pepper, salt & pepper.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove, and sprinkle with parmesan cheese, allow to cool for 8 minutes before slicing and serving.
Disclosure:I’m partnering with OXO to bring you today’s recipe. I received this product for review, all opinions are my own. Thank you for helping me work with brands I love!
I have a couple kids that love this pizza just as much as I do! It’s so tasty & not heavy at all!