Grilled Cheese Pizza Roll Ups
I know it may not seem like it, but I’m not super creative when it comes to feeding our toddler. Which, by the way, isn’t a big deal to me, but every once in a while I like to try something different. Today’s recipe is one I’ve been wanting to try for some time now, and finally did. And you know what? He LOVED them. They were super fun & easy for him to eat… they were kind of fun to make too!
We eat grilled cheese regularly during the fall, especially when we have soup for dinner. But every now and then our little guy requests one for lunch. He also requests pizza, so we make little flatbread ones. Every bite gets gobbled up. I thought, why not combine the two and see what happens. To make it even more kid-friendly I decided to roll them up so he could dip them in a bit of marinara/pizza sauce. He was so excited!! I could hear “whoa,” and “cool,” and “mmmm yummy,” coming from his high chair. I knew they were going to be a hit.
These do require a bit more time then your standard grilled cheese sandwich, but only a few minutes. First, you’ll want cut off the crusts and flatten out 6 pieces of your favorite sandwich bread. I used my rolling pin but a heavy glass will work too. Then you’ll sprinkle some mozzarella and parmesan inside. Add a few thin slices of pepperoni to it, then carefully roll them up. I used a bit of water to seal the end so that it wouldn’t come apart.
Dip them in some melted butter, and place onto a hot skillet, seam-side down. Turn and “grill” until golden brown on all sides.
Serve with a little cup of marinara and watch them disappear right before your eyes. Seriously though, they won’t last long. Next time you’re looking for a kid-friendly lunch idea, I’d highly recommend giving these yummy little grilled cheese pizza roll ups a try! They were ????????????????
- 6 slices soft sandwhich bread
- ¾ c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
- 36 slices pepperoni (thinly sliced)
- 3 tbsp. melted butter, divided
- marinara/pizza sauce for dipping
- Using a sharp knife, cut the crusts off of each slice of bread. Roll each slice with a rolling pin to flatten. Sprinkle with cheeses and place 6 slices of pepperoni on top. Roll up tightly, seal with a dab of water if needed. Repeat with remaining bread slices, cheese and pepperoni.
- Place 1 tablespoon of butter in a large non-stick pan and set over medium heat.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a bowl. Dip one roll up at a time in the melted butter, then transfer to the pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes per side or until golden brown and crisp on the outside. Remove and serve with sauce, if desired.
Recipe source: Life Made Simple
DON’T FORGET TO CHECK OUT THESE 10 NEW GRILLED CHEESE RECIPES:
- Chicken Mediterranean Grilled Cheese – Ashlee Marie
- Ham and Egg Grilled Cheese Sandwich – Summer Scraps
- Grilled Chicken Melts – Real Mom Kitchen
- Bacon Grilled Cheese – Butter With A Side of Bread
- The Ultimate Spicy Grilled Cheese – The Stay At Home Chef
- Croque Monsieur – The Baker Upstairs
- Bananas Fosters Melt – Like Mother Like Daughter
- Mushroom Lovers Grilled Cheese – Jamie Cooks It Up!
- Pesto Panini Grilled Cheese – Yummy Healthy Easy
- Avocado, Egg and Pepper Jack Grilled Cheese Sandwich – 365 Days of Slow Cooking