Chocolate Banana Stuffed French Toast
You’re going to fall in love with this Chocolate Banana Stuffed French Toast! It’s thick, gooey and topped with strawberries, bananas, and a drizzle of maple syrup.
This chocolate banana stuffed french toast is so easy to make- all you need is 20 minutes! I’ve always been intimidated by stuffed french toast, and I’m not sure why. This version only takes a few seconds more than it would to make regular french toast, the results though, are entirely different! This makes a great treat for special breakfasts or even brunch. You’ll need a full loaf of challah or brioche, I used challah. Cut it into 2″ thick slices, then create pocket in the center. I used a really small spatula to spread the chocolate hazelnut spread inside and then layered banana slices over top.
Speaking of chocolate hazelnut spread, I used Peanut Butter & Co.’s new Chocmeister Milk Chocolatey Hazelnut Spread. I originally planned on using their Dark Chocolatey Hazelnut Spread, but we kind of devoured the entire jar before I could recipe test with it. Don’t jude. It was amazing!! What’s great about this spread is that it’s made with 25% less sugar and double the protein of the leading brand of chocolate hazelnut spreads. Pretty good, right? We love spreading it on whole grain toast, bagels, pretzels and graham crackers and dipping fruit in it. It’s also really easy to bake with… cookies, brownies, no-bake recipes or even french toast :)
Once you’ve stuffed the slices of bread, in a shallow dish, whisk together the milk, cream, eggs, vanilla, and cinnamon. Dip each side of french toast into egg mixture allowing a few seconds for it to soak up some the mixture. Avoid submerging the center.
Add a small pat of butter to a hot griddle or pan, then allow it to melt and bubble. Transfer the slices to the pan and cook until browned on the bottom, about 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and cook the second side until browned, about 2 minutes. Remove immediately.
Top with fresh fruit and dust with powdered sugar. Drizzle with maple syrup or warm chocolate hazelnut spread and dig in! This decadent stuffed french toast was such a huge hit with our family, it will definitely be a treat we’ll make for extra special occasions! Enjoy :)
- 1 1lb. loaf of challah or brioche, cut into 2" thick slices
- ½ c. chocolate hazelnut spread
- 2 bananas, sliced
- ¼ c. milk
- ¼ c. heavy cream
- 5 large eggs
- ¾ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. butter, for the griddle
- Optional toppings/garnishes:
- Sliced Strawberries
- Sliced Bananas
- Melted chocolate hazelnut spread
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat an electric griddle to 350 degrees or place a large skillet over medium heat.
- Using a paring knife, cut through the center of each slice (as if butterflying a chicken breast) keeping the end attached. Spread a heaping tablespoon of chocolate hazelnut spread inside center of each slice, the add a few banana slices (enough to cover the spread). Repeat with the remaining slices.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the milk, cream, eggs, vanilla, and cinnamon. Dip each side of french toast into egg mixture allowing a few seconds for it to soak up some the mixture. Avoid submerging the center.
- Add the butter griddle or pan, allow it to melt and bubble. Transfer the slices to the pan and cook until browned on the bottom, about 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and cook the second side until browned, about 2 minute. Serve immediately dusted with powdered sugar and topped with strawberries, bananas and melted spread, if desired.
Recipe source: Life Made Simple
Disclosure: I’m partnering with Peanut Butter & Co. to bring you today’s recipe. I received this product for review, all opinions are my own. Thank you for helping me work with brands I love!