Dinner time is a bit hectic. I’m either trying to cook with a baby strapped to me and a toddler at my feet or my husband has one and I have the other and we’re both cooking! ???? With that said, I’ve made it a goal to simplify dinner and do more “one-pot” meals ready to go in just 30 minutes. Just sayin’, you’ll probably be seeing a lot more of those from here on out! This Cajun chicken and rice skillet is definitely a new favorite of ours. It’s a cinch to make, crazy flavorful and makes enough to eat the following day. Yesss ????
So what fancy ingredients do you need? Well, nothing fancy, but there are a few things you might want to make sure you have on hand like… Cajun or Creole seasoning (I just bought a little jar, it inexpensive and we use it on this pizza crust all of the time), okra (we don’t ever have fresh in our stores so I buy frozen) and fire roasted diced tomatoes (go ahead and grab a few cans, I use them in everything). Also you’ll need a fairly large skillet. If you don’t have one, use a Dutch-oven or a large pan with tall sides.
You’ll want to start by cooking the rice in a medium saucepan. I like to cook mine in chicken broth because of the flavor it adds to the dish. I’d highly recommend using it over water! While the rice is cooking toss the cubed chicken in generous amount of seasoning. I think I used about 3 tablespoons. That may seem like a lot but it’s what flavors the whole dish, so don’t be shy! Plus, we want it to have a little kick ????!
Cook the chicken until it’s brown on both sides, remove from the skillet and then cook the veggies until tender. Add in the tomatoes, tomato paste along with the cooked chicken and rice and stir until everything is combined. Sprinkle with a bit of freshly chopped parsley and serve it up!
P.S. -> If you have small children at home I’d suggest cooking a bit of the chicken without the seasoning first (just a bit of salt & pepper) and then adding it in to their bowl of rice/veggies… that way it’s not overwhelming/too spicy for them. But if you don’t, no worries, just scarf it down & enjoy!
Cajun Chicken and Rice Skillet Recipe
- 1 cup long grain white rice - uncooked
- 2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast - cut into 1'' cubes
- 2-3 tbsp creole seasoning - OR cajun seasoning
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion - diced
- 2 cup bell pepper - diced (red, orange, yellow, or green)
- 1 1/4 cup okra - sliced, fresh or frozen
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 (14 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley - chopped
- In a medium saucepan, combine the rice, chicken broth and salt. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce to low and simmer for 12-14 minutes or until cooked. Remove from the heat and keep covered.
- Meanwhile, season the cubed chicken with Cajun or Creole seasoning. Use a generous amount, about 2-3 tablespoons.
- In a skillet set over medium-high heat, add one tablespoon of olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook until seared on both sides, about 2-3 minutes on each. (Note: you may need to do 2 batches of chicken so that it has enough space to cook and brown). When the chicken is cooked throughout, remove and set aside on a plate.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the skillet, turn heat high. When the oil is hot, add the onions and bell pepper. Sprinkle a few pinches of seasoning over the vegetables and cook for 3-4 minutes, then add the okra, cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add the garlic and continue cooking until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and paste to the skillet along with the cooked chicken. Stir, then add rice and mix until incorporated. Remove from the heat, garnish with parsley and serve immediately.