30 Minute Skillet Chicken Caprese
Our little garden has been bursting with cherry tomatoes and basil! We’ve been making pesto like crazy and using the tomatoes in salads, salsa and pasta dishes. We had bunch of tomatoes sitting on our counter that were begging to be eaten, so I decided to use them in this super easy skillet chicken caprese. This 30 minute meal only requires a few simple ingredients and is bursting with bright, fresh flavor!
I’m always looking for new ways to prepare chicken. I feel like we get stuck in a rut every few weeks and just end up doing herb roasted chicken, which is delicious, but sometimes I just want something a little different! This was a really simple way to make chicken breasts go from bland to bursting with flavor!
All you need is an oven-proof skillet, three chicken breasts, a few seasonings and some mozzarella, tomatoes, basil and balsamic vinegar. Season up your chicken breasts (I used herbes de provence) as well as garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper salt and black pepper, and then sear them in a bit of olive oil. When they’re golden brown on each side, toss the skillet into the oven and bake them until they’re cooked throughout.
Pull them out of the oven and top them with a thick slice of mozzarella cheese, return them and broil them until the cheese gets nice and melty. If you want your tomatoes to burst a little, you can toss them in too! Then remove the skillet from the oven, top with basil and a drizzle of aged balsamic vinegar.
Serve them up and watch them get devoured! Seriously though, these caprese-style chicken breasts will be gone in seconds. My husband loved them, I loved them and even our toddler loved them! This is a great meal for those busy weeknights and is the perfect way to use up all of those garden-fresh ingredients that are abundant this time of year!
See how to make this 30 Minute Skillet Chicken Caprese in my video below:
- 1½ tsp. herbes de provence
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 3 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 thick slices mozzarella cheese
- 1 c. cherry tomatoes
- ¼ c. basil leaves, chiffonade
- 2 tbsp. quality aged balsamic vinegar*
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small prep bowl, combine herbes de provence, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper. Season the chicken breasts on both sides.
- Set a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and sear on both sides until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Place skillet into preheated oven and bake until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees, about 20-22 minutes. Remove from the oven and top the chicken breasts with cheese, return to oven and broil 2-3 minutes or until melty. Remove and top with tomatoes and basil, drizzle with balsamic vinegar and serve immediately.
-You can also use any other kind of tomato, just slice it thinly and place it over the cheese.
Recipe source: Life Made Simple