Try Skillet Chicken Caprese for your next family dinner. This 30 minute meal only requires a few simple ingredients and is bursting with bright, fresh flavor!
Bursting with Fresh Flavor
Our little garden has been bursting with cherry tomatoes and basil! We’ve been making pesto like crazy and using the tomatoes in salads, salsa and pasta dishes. We had bunch of tomatoes sitting on our counter that were begging to be eaten, so I decided to use them in this super easy skillet chicken caprese.
I’m always looking for new ways to prepare chicken. I feel like we get stuck in a rut every few weeks and just end up doing herb roasted chicken, which is delicious, but sometimes I just want something a little different!
This was a really simple way to make chicken breasts go from bland to bursting with flavor!
Ready in 30 Minutes
All you need is a half hour, an oven-proof skillet, three chicken breasts, a few seasonings and some mozzarella, tomatoes, basil and balsamic vinegar.
SEASON & SEAR. Season up your chicken breasts (I used herbes de provence) as well as garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper salt and black pepper, and then sear them in a bit of olive oil.
BAKE. When they’re golden brown on each side, toss the skillet into the oven and bake them until they’re cooked throughout.
TOP. Pull them out of the oven and top them with a thick slice of mozzarella cheese, return them and broil them until the cheese gets nice and melty. If you want your tomatoes to burst a little, you can toss them in too! Then remove the skillet from the oven, top with basil and a drizzle of aged balsamic vinegar.
SERVE them up and watch them get devoured! This goes great with simple side dishes, like:
Keep any leftovers STORED in the fridge in an airtight container. It will last for about a week. REHEAT in the microwave until warmed through. You could also reheat in the oven at 350 for about 10 minutes.
To FREEZE this dish after its been baked, you are going to want it to cool completely and then pre-freeze it until it is solid. It should last for about 6 months in the freezer before you can reheat it in the oven at 350 till warmed through
For more chicken entrees, try:
Skillet Chicken Caprese Recipe
- 1 1/2 tsp herbs de provence
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 chicken breasts - boneless, skinless
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 thick slices mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup basil leaves - chiffonade
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar - quality!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small prep bowl, combine herbes de provence, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper. Season the chicken breasts on both sides.
- Set a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and sear on both sides until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Place skillet into preheated oven and bake until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees, about 20-22 minutes. Remove from the oven and top the chicken breasts with cheese, return to oven and broil 2-3 minutes or until melty. Remove and top with tomatoes and basil, drizzle with balsamic vinegar and serve immediately.
-You can also use any other kind of tomato, just slice it thinly and place it over the cheese.