Almond Poppy Seed Chicken Salad
Chunky almond poppy seed chicken salad with a creamy, crunchy dressing. This spring salad is perfect on croissants, rolled into wraps or served in between thick slices of brioche!
Please tell me I’m not the only one that craves chicken salad? It’s kind of a problem… mainly because I’m a chicken salad snob. It can’t be too wet or too dry, it has to be perfect. That’s why I usually stick to making it a home. This almond poppy seed chicken salad is my latest version and I’m obsessed. It’s crunchy, slightly tangy, and goes great on just about anything, though I’m partial to croissants.
For this particular chicken salad recipe, you can use freshly grilled chicken or rotisserie. I like chunky chicken salad, but if you’re more into shredded, you can certainly do that too. Once you’ve got the chicken prepped, the rest is EASY!
Grab a large mixing bowl and combine the cream, mayo, red wine vinegar, mustard (dry or dijon), salt, garlic, parsley, poppy seeds, celery, red onion, and toasted almonds. Let the mixture chill for at least 30 minutes before eating, this will allow the flavors to merry. If you plan on leaving it for longer, I’d suggest leaving the almonds out and tossing them in right before you serve it.
Pile it high on your favorite bread, whether that be a croissant, ciabatta, brioche, or wheat bread. You can also make lettuce wraps too for a low-carb option. Enjoy!
Almond Poppy Seed Chicken Salad Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken - cubed or shredded
- 1/3 cup heavy cream*
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise - light or regular, (more to taste if needed)
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp dry yellow mustard - OR 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp kosher sea salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/3 cup celery - diced
- 1/4 cup red onion - OR shallot, finely diced
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds - toasted
- In a large mixing bowl combine all of the ingredients. Toss to coat.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes, then serve. If refrigerating longer, reserve the toasted nuts and add right before serving.