Biscoff Coffee Cake Muffins
Cookie butter for breakfast? Yes please! These Biscoff coffee cake muffins are bursting with cinnamon and cookie butter goodness.
Yesterday fall finally crept in. We woke up to a cold dark house. I stumbled into the kitchen, opened the windows and was pleasantly surprised to see RAIN! We had a lazy morning, mostly passing the time with dress ups, games and lots of silly dancing. The kids helped me re-make these Biscoff coffee cake muffins we originally made years ago. Once again, they were a huge hit with my cinnamon loving mini mes 🙂
The batter for these muffins is rather thick. That’s a good thing though, because it has to hold a generous sprinkling of coarse cinnamon sugar crumble. P.S. I opted to add a heap of cinnamon chips to give these an extra burst of flavor… they’re totally optional.
You’ll want to gently press the crumble into the batter. As the rise (and they will!), the crumble will spread out. If you forget sink them in a bit, you may end up with crumble all over your pan instead of on top of your muffins!
Pull them out as soon as you think they’re done. I used a toothpick to test for doneness. A few minutes too long and you’ll end up with dry, crumbly muffins. So be careful and watch them around the 20 minute mark.
Enjoy these muffins warm with a nice drizzle of melty cookie butter or a slather of butter. They’re pretty darn amazing!!
Biscoff Coffee Cake Muffins Recipe
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter - room temperature, cut into 1/4 inch thick cubes
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp milk - OR buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup cinnamon baking chips - optional
- 2 tbsp biscoff spread - warm
For the Topping
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch kosher sea salt
- 4 tbsp butter - melted
- 2 tbsp biscoff spread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard size muffin with liners, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the flours, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and baking soda. Mix for 30 seconds.
- With mixing speed on low, add butter one cube at a time. Mix until the no clumps remain, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, sour cream, milk, and vanilla extract, Mix on low until incorporated, about 1 minute. Using a spatula or wooden spoon, gently fold in cinnamon chips, if desired.
- Using a large cookie scoop (#20 is approximately 3 tablespoons), fill liners with batter. Top each with 1/2 teaspoon of melty Biscoff.
For the Topping
- To prepare the topping, combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Mix until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle onto the tops of each muffin, gently press into the batter.
- Place in oven and bake for 20-24 minutes or until the top begins to brown. Do not overbake!
- Remove from oven and let muffins cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing them and transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.