Chocolate Sweetheart Cupcakes
A few weeks ago I finally perfected my chocolate cupcake recipe! So I decided to use it to make these festive chocolate sweetheart cupcakes. They’re incredibly moist, tender and topped with the fluffiest chocolate buttercream! I used these fun little Valentine’s Day Impressions along with some chocolate shavings and heart sprinkles to make these extra special.
Have I ever mentioned just how much I love Ghirardelli? Maybe it’s because I grew up near San Francisco, or because I love all of their decadent dark chocolate bars. I do know one thing though, their baking products are a pantry staple. As a frequent baker, I love using their 60% cacao baking chips, they ensure the best taste and texture to any baked treat or decadent confection I make! I used 2 oz. of their chips (melted) to help give these cupcakes their rich chocolatey flavor.
But I didn’t stop there. I shaved the chips for the topping and popped out the centers of their Valentine’s Day Impressions too. Have you ever tried them? They’re perfect for snacking on since their individually wrapped and make great little gifts for Valentine’s Day. I especially love the milk & dark chocolate combo, however, they also come in milk & white. I decided to leave a few of them whole and just press them into the frosting of a few of the cupcakes- it was easy and just as pretty.
So before you jump into the kitchen to whip up a batch of these beauties, let me give you a few tips. First, make sure all of your ingredients are at room temperature. Use high quality ingredients (the better the ingredients, the better the cupcakes will taste). Don’t swap out full-fat sour cream or buttermilk for anything else! Use espresso powder to enhance the flavor of the chocolate.
Lastly, do not overbake these cupcakes! Ok? Now let’s get baking, because these cupcakes are a definite must-make!
Whether you’re making these for friends, family or for someone extra special, these chocolate sweetheart cupcakes are sure to be a hit! There’s no need to buy those hard little conversation hearts, because each cupcake comes with it’s own message! How cool is that?! Enjoy & happy Valentine’s Day!
- ¼ c. unsalted butter, melted
- ½ c. canola or vegetable oil
- ½ c. granulated sugar
- ½ c. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 oz. 60% bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 2 eggs + 2 yolks, room temperature
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- ½ c. natural unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted*
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ c. full-fat sour cream or buttermilk, room temperature
- ½ c. water (warm) + ½ tsp. espresso powder
- Chocolate buttercream:
- 1 c. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature*
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3¼ c. powdered sugar
- ½ c. unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 3-4 tbsp. heavy whipping cream
- Chocolate shavings
- Ghirardelli Valentine's Day Impressions, centers only
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two standard size cupcake pans with 18 liners, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter, oil, sugars, vanilla extract and melted chocolate until smooth. With mixing speed on low, add the eggs one at a time until incorporated.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sifted cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda. With mixing speed on low, gradually add the dry ingredients along with the sour cream (or buttermilk) and the warm water/espresso mixture. Mix just until combined. Allow the batter to rest for 5 minutes.
- Divide batter evenly among cups, filling ⅔ of the way full (I like to use a large scoop, a #20). Place in the oven and bake for 17-20 minutes, or until the tops spring back when touched and a cake tester comes out clean. Be careful not to over bake! Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pans for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the frosting, in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes. Turn mixing speed off, add the salt and the vanilla extract. Turn mixing speed on to low, then gradually add the powdered sugar and cocoa. Beat for 2 minutes, then turn to low and add the cream. Turn the speed up and beat for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Spread or pipe on to the cooled cupcakes, garnish with sprinkles, chocolate shavings and the centers of the Ghirardelli Valentine's Impressions.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.