I know kale gets a bad rap, but I promise this cranberry apple pecan kale salad will have the biggest kale haters swooning over it! It’s topped with chunks of apple, candied pecans, dried cranberries, and my favorite part – bacon!
Kale. You either love it or hate it. It’s earthy and slightly bitter, which means unless it’s chopped up and tossed into pasta (like this kale, spinach, and basil pesto baked pasta) or soup (like this veggie loaded lentil soup), my kids will not be eating it. ??♀️
While kale may not be my green of choice, I do like the texture of it. It’s crisp and chewy. It doesn’t hurt that it’s packed full of vitamins and nutrients either. I’ve had a few kale salads over the years that I’ve really enjoyed. My sweet kale superfood salad is one, along with a kale/wild rice/butternut squash/grilled chicken salad, and this cranberry apple pecan kale salad. It’s loaded with a variety of textures and flavors that perfectly meld together.
We usually serve this as a side salad. It’s light and perfect for a heartier meal. If you want to serve it as a main dish, I’d recommend adding these ingredients:
- Gorgonzola or Feta cheese
- Grilled chicken
- Roasted pepitas
You can definitely add any of those ingredients to it if you plan on eating it as a side too!
This kale salad comes together in minutes. Simply chop the ingredients and toss in the homemade dressing. We love making a sweet dijon vinaigrette using apple cider and grainy mustard. It’s divine! For the dressing you’ll need:
- Whole grain and regular Dijon mustard
- Maple syrup
- Apple cider vinegar
- Apple cider
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil or a mild tasting oil
Simply pulse everything in a food processor or whisk vigorously to emulsify it, then pour it over the salad and toss.
This salad is best if enjoyed within an hour or so of making it. If you want to make it ahead, simply keep the dressing in a separate container and toss when ready. I’d also suggest holding off on cutting the apple so you don’t end up serving it with a bunch of brown apple chunks.
I love this kale salad because it has so much flavor going on. It’s sweet thanks to the apple and candied pecans, slightly salty because of the bacon, and tart and tangy with the dried cranberries and vinaigrette. The kale is so mellow and tender it’s almost unrecognizable (my kids actually ate it and liked it)! However, if you do want to swap it out for some other greens, try shaved brussels sprouts or a spring mix.
Do you love using kale in salad? Leave a comment below and let me know what your favorite kale salad is!
LOOKING FOR MORE CRANBERRY AND PISTACHIO RECIPES? TRY THESE:
- The Best Cranberry Apple Crisp
- Pistachio Layer Cake
- Instant Pot Cranberry Meatballs
- The Best Homemade Pistachio Ice Cream
- Mini Cranberry Orange Cheesecakes
Need more recipes? Subscribe to my email list! Simply enter your email in a subscription box located on the right hand side of the blog or scroll below the recipe and sign up there. You’ll receive posts, newsletters and so much more!
Cranberry Apple Pecan Kale Salad Recipe
- 6 c. kale chopped
- 1 apple cut into 1/4-inch chunks
- 2/3 c. candied pecans whole or coarsely chopped
- 6 strips bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 c. dried cranberries
For the dressing:
- 1 tbsp. shallot coarsley chopped
- 3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp. apple cider or apple juice
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 tsp. whole grain Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 3/4 tsp. coarse kosher sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 c. olive oil or mild tasting oil
- In a medium serving bowl combine kale, apple, pecans, bacon, and cranberries
- In a small food processor combine the ingredients for the dressing. Pulse until creamy and emulsified.
- Toss salad in dressing and serve immediately.