Chicken Apple Walnut Salad
There’s a pizza place not too far from where we live that has amazing pizza & the best salads! Every time we go I have to get their chicken apple walnut salad, it’s my favorite! I love the combination of the tart apples and grapes with the celery, red onion, chicken and candied walnuts. Everything compliments each other and nothing tastes out of place… it’s so good! Since I’ve been on a salad kick lately I thought I’d try recreating it at home. It was quick, easy and way cheaper than ordering it at the restaurant!
Like most salads, it;s all about prep work. You need a good cutting board and a sharp chef’s knife. Once you have all of your ingredients chopped, diced or minced, the dressing is all that’s left to whip up. I made an really simple apple cider vinaigrette similar to the one they serve at the restaurant. If you are like me and find that apple cider vinegar is sort of pungent and overpowering, no worries, just scale back on the amount. It may seem like a little much when you’re making the dressing but it’s actually a lot less strong when you mix it with the salad.
I prefer using the brand pictured above, this isn’t a sponsored post or anything I just find it to be slightly less potent than Heinz 🙂 To make the dressing all you need to do is combine the ingredients (apple cider vinegar, white wine vinegar, honey, dijon, applesauce, shallot, salt, pepper and canola oil) and pulse them in a food processor or whisk vigorously until they become emulsified. Pretty easy and you can keep the leftover dressing in the refrigerator for up to 1 week!
I love how this salad is packed with protein, veggies and fruit! It’s got everything you need to keep you full and satisfied throught the day. Plus there aren’t any unusual or hard to find ingredients in this one! If you have trouble with the candied walnuts (I love buying them at Trader Joe’s) you can always candy them yourself… it’s actually really easy! Enjoy!
- 2½ c. lightly packed spinach or spring mix greens
- ½ c. grilled chicken breast, cubed
- ½ c. apple, cubed
- ½ c. red seedless grapes, sliced in half
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 tbsp. red onion, finely diced
- ⅓ c. candied walnuts
- For the apple cider vinaigrette*:
- ½ shallot, minced
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. honey or agave
- 2 tbsp. apple sauce
- ¼ c. canola oil
- pinch salt + pepper
- Add greens to a large dinner plate or salad bowl. Top with the chicken, apple, grapes, celery, red onion and candied walnuts.
- To make the dressing, combine all of the ingredients whisking vigorously until emulsified (or puree in a food processor). Drizzle the salad with the dressing and serve immediately.
Recipe source: Life Made Simple