This light and flavorful Thai-inspired curried chicken noodle soup is both healthy and delicious! It’ll have you coming back for more!
I have to admit, I haven’t always been a fan of curry. It wasn’t until a few years ago, when my brother-in-law introduced us to a Thai place here in Salt Lake City, that I became completely smitten. I still haven’t found a massaman curry quite like theirs.
This curried soup is a fun twist on classic chicken noodle soup! I used all sorts of Thai ingredients to infuse as much flavor as possible into it, and I have to say, it’s darn good!
If you glance at the recipe you might think, that’s a lot of ingredients. Yes, it definitely is, but they all play an important part in the overall flavor of the soup. I wanted to make it a little bulkier so I added carrots and zucchini, however, if you prefer something a little different, you can always swap out the noodles for potatoes and the zucchini for cauliflower. P.S. the best thing about this soup is that it only takes 45 minutes to make. The prep work is the most time-consuming part. P.S.S. I could definitely see this recipe working well in an Instant Pot too, for all of you pressure cooker users out there.
I could easily eat two or three bowls of this soup in one sitting. It’s light yet filling and loaded with protein and veggies. If you’re in the mood for something a little different, I highly recommend giving this soup a try! If you’re on the hunt for more curried recipes, make sure to check out my Sweet Potato Coconut Curry & Overnight Curried Chicken with Brown Rice, they’re both delicious!
Curried Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil - OR vegetable oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs - slice thin and cut into small pieces
- 1 carrot - peeled and sliced
- 1 small zucchini - peeled, quartered and chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion - minced
- 1 small shallot - minced
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp cilantro stems - minced, (the light green part)
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 tsp red chili paste
- 3 tbsp Thai curry powder - or red curry paste
- 1 tsp kosher sea salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground tumeric
- 4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk - full-fat
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 6 tbsp Thai basil - or kaffir lime
- 8 oz rice noodles - dried thin, broken into three chunks*
- 2 tbsp cilantro - chopped
- 2 green onions - chopped
- lime wedges - for serving
- In a large stock pot or Dutch oven set over medium heat, add oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook until browned, about 8 minutes. Transfer chicken to a paper towel lined plate.
- Add the carrot, zucchini, onion, shallot, ginger and cilantro stems, cook until soft, about 6-8 minutes. Add garlic, chili paste, curry powder or paste, salt, paprika, and turmeric, stir to combine, then cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Whisk in chicken broth, coconut milk, half-and-half, fish sauce, brown sugar and basil or lime leaves. Add chicken, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles according to the package's directions. Rinse, drain and add to the soup. Remove the soup from the heat, serve with chopped cilantro, chopped green onions and lime wedges.
DON’T FORGET TO CHECK OUT THESE 11 DELICIOUS SOUP RECIPES:
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup – Ashlee Marie
- Italian Spinach and Orzo Soup – Real Mom Kitchen
- Turkey Meatball Pho – Foodie With Family
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup – Creations by Kara
- Bacon Clam Chowder – The Baker Upstairs
- Vegan Cheeseburger Soup – Namely Marly
- Creamy Tortellini and Sausage Soup – Baking With Blondie
- Broccoli Cheese Soup – Yellow Bliss Road
- Brunswick Stew – Hey Grill, Hey
- Cheesy Lasagna Soup – Gather for Bread
- Instant Pot Skinny Beef Soup – Sweet C’s