I never get tired of chocolate chip cookies. How could I? There are so many good recipes out there! Soft, chewy, crunchy, gooey- no matter what they turn out like, they’re all good! Sunday afternoon I decided we need a few cookies to snack on so I opened up one of my favorite cookbooks and flipped through to see what my options were. I came across a really simple chocolate chip cookie recipe with a gorgeous picture and knew I had to try it out! I made some adjustments and added a few ingredients in hopes of keeping them from spreading and becoming too flat. I think chilling them really helped them to hold their shape and stay nice and thick. Instead of tossing in a handful of chocolate chips I chopped up a Ghirardelli semi-sweet baking bar which created the freckles and left the chocolate gooey and swirled throughout. Gosh they were good! So good that I had to bake up some more the following day!
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter - room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 (4) oz Ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate bars - chopped coarsely
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine sugars and butter, beat until fluffy (about 2 minutes). Add vanilla and one egg, mix until just combined, then add the second egg, mixing until incorporated.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, corn starch and salt. With mixing speed on low, gradually add dry ingredients mixing until no “flour” pockets remain.
- Remove bowl from stand and fold in chocolate chunks. You’ll want to add all of the shards or shavings that result when chopping bars- that’s what makes these “freckled!” Place dough into the refrigerator to chill for 1 hour. Remove and let stand for 5 minutes before scooping and placing onto the prepared sheets.
- Place in oven and bake for 10-12 minutes- the edges will become light brown and the centers should still look slightly soft and gooey- they’ll firm up once they’ve cooled for a bit. Remove from oven and allow to cool on sheets for 3 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Calories: 157kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 90mg | Potassium: 61mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 174IU | Calcium: 14mg | Iron: 1mg
Adapted from David Lebovitz