Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Quick, easy and incredibly delicious. These ultra light and fluffy Instant Pot mashed potatoes are a holiday staple!
How in the world is Thanksgiving a week away?! This fall has flown by! I still have a bunch of recipes to share with you over the next few days, all in preparation for t-day. So stay with me, ok?
Today I’ve got these fluffy, buttery amazing mashed potatoes for you. They are seriously the best I’ve ever had. Even my mashed potato hating children loved them. That’s pretty big!
Everything is done in the Instant Pot…except for the peeling and chopping of course.
These are great because you don’t have to babysit them, they don’t take up more room on the stovetop, and you can make a double batch with ease.
To start, you’ll want to add the cubed potatoes to the Instant Pot, then cover with water. There’s no set amount, just use enough to cover the tops and you’ll be golden. Season with salt, then pressure cook for 10 minutes. Manually release, drain and then add the good stuff.
What ingredients make mashed potatoes light and fluffy?
- Sour cream
I personally prefer the taste of sour cream over cream cheese, but you can use that too. Another good tip is to leave these three ingredients out at room temperature while the Instant Pot works its magic. Room temperature ingredients will prevent the potatoes from seizing up or becoming dense and heavy.
Flavor-wise, you’ll want to add more salt along with some minced roasted garlic (you can find cloves in the salad bar area of bigger grocery stores or on the pasta aisle) or garlic powder, freshly ground black pepper, and either parsley or chives.
What other delicious additions can you add to mashed potatoes? Cheese, bacon, additional herbs etc. It just depends on what you plan on serving the mashed potatoes with. If you’re going to use this recipe for Thanksgiving dinner, I’d suggest following the recipe as written below. If you plan on serving this dish with pork, beef or chicken, feel free to get creative.
Serve the potatoes with a few pats of butter and they’ll be disappear in minutes. These Instant Pot mashed potatoes are so flavorful and delicious you don’t even need gravy! ?
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS POTATO RECIPES? TRY THESE:
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Cheesy Ham and Potato Casserole
- French Onion Soup Stuffed Potatoes
- Loaded Twice Baked Potatoes
- Cheesy Broccoli Stuffed Potatoes
Need more recipes? Subscribe to my email list! Simply enter your email in a subscription box located on the right hand side of the blog or scroll below the recipe and sign up there. You’ll receive posts, newsletters and so much more!
- 6 large russet potatoes, washed, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 tsp. coarse kosher sea salt, divided
- 1/3 c. unsalted butter
- 1/4 c. sour cream
- 1/3 c. whole milk
- 4 cloves roasted garlic, minced OR 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. freshly minced parsley OR chives (optional)
- Add cubed potatoes and 1/2 tsp. salt to the Instant Pot. Add enough water to cover the tops of the potatoes.
- Place the lid on. Make sure valve is switched to sealing. Select MANUAL mode (high pressure) for 10 minutes. Once cooked, turn the valve to venting to release the pressure manually. This will take anywhere from 5-8 minutes. Turn the Instant Pot OFF.
- Open the lid and drain the water. Return the insert to the Instant Pot. Stir in the remaining salt along with the butter, sour cream, milk, garlic, and pepper.
- Using a potato masher, mash until desired consistency is reached.
- Remove and garnish with parsley or chives. Serve with additional butter or gravy.