You can make these effortless Instant Pot steel cut oats in just 25 minutes! With endless options for add ins, you’ll never get bored!
Hello 2018! We’re kicking things off with a healthy start over here. How about you? I know it may seem like all we eat are cookies, cheesecake and popcorn, but I promise you we eat real food. ☺️ During the past few weeks I’ve been reflecting on 2017 and I really feel like the only way to be a mom to 3 little kiddos & keep up with the blog is to SIMPLIFY everything! That means keeping the recipes easy, minimizing ingredients, and using the “less is more” approach when it comes to food photography. Of course, there will still be occasional recipes that require a little more effort, but those will most likely be for special occasions like holidays or birthdays. You’ll also be seeing more savory recipes (I think I did pretty well with that last year) and more Instant Pot recipes just like this one.
My kids LOVE oatmeal. We eat it several times a week. We like using the quick cooking steel cut oats, but I was having trouble finding them and eventually gave up and bought the regular kind. My father-in-law came to the rescue and sent us three containers which we’re still using. However, it left me with one partially used container of regular steel cut oats to use.
If you’ve made steel cut oats before they take FOREVER. I’m pretty sure one time it took 35 minutes. Yikes. We definitely don’t have that kind of time in the morning to be in the kitchen watching a pan of oats cook, making sure it doesn’t boil over and keeping them from sticking to the bottom of the pan, or even worse, burning.
That’s where the Instant Pot comes and saves the day. It always does! While these steel cut oats may not be ready in an instant, they take 2 minutes to prep and the rest is done without you having to do anything. Sounds amazing, right?
You can easily double the recipe to feed a bigger family. You can customize the oatmeal so that you never get tired of it. Sometimes we make a plain batch, other times we get wild… you know, as wild as you can get with oatmeal. ? One of our go-to “recipes” includes adding ½ cup of finely diced apple, ⅓ cup of chopped pecans, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, ½ tsp. pumpkin pie spice and ½ teaspoon of vanilla. It’s heavenly!!
Set your Instant Pot on MANUAL mode for 8 minutes if you like slightly chewier oats, or 10 minutes for softer oats. Let the pressure release naturally, remove the lid, then stir to encourage the oats to absorb the remaining water. Add a splash of your favorite milk or an extra pat of butter for something slightly more indulgent. Top with fresh berries for a simple yet delicious breakfast!
Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats Recipe
- 2 tsp. unsalted butter or coconut oil
- 3 1/2 c. water
- pinch salt - optional
- 1 c. steel cut oats
Optional add ins:
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar - maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 c. finely chopped apple - pear, peach, or berries
- 1/3 c. chopped nuts or raisins
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon or apple pie spice
- Grease the lower 1/3 of the Instant Pot insert with butter or coconut oil. Add water, salt then oats (and any other add ins you want).
- Place lid on and lock. Turn on MANUAL mode with high pressure selected for 8 minutes, 10 if you prefer softer oats. Turn switch to VENTING and allow for the pressure to release manually, this usually takes 7-10 minutes or so. Remove the lid and stir.
- Allow to cool until most of the liquid is absorbed. Stir in additional butter or a splash of milk, if desired.