The other day I reached for a bag of pretzels and knocked the package of Oreos off the shelf. I was watching it in slow motion as it tumbled to the floor. I knew they were crushed, no longer any good for dipping in milk. Lucky for me there was only one row left, so I told Stephen I’d figure out a way to use them. It wasn’t until yesterday that the idea hit me- Oreo Cheesecake Topped Brownies. Stephen and I both really loved the Cookie Dough Cheesecake Brownies I made a while back, so it seemed like the perfect solution. Plus he could still guzzle down a glass of milk with them! I quickly got to work and within an hour I had these gorgeous chewy and creamy bars. I chilled them for a few more hours to let the cheesecake set up and after dinner we devoured them. They were a huge hit and I don’t even feel bad about dropping those Oreos 🙂 In the words of Bob Ross, they were a “happy little accident!”
Oreo Cheesecake Topped Brownies
½ c. all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
4 oz semi-sweet chocolate, melted (use a Ghirardelli baking bar!)
¾ c. sugar
6 tbsp. (¾ stick) butter
¼ tsp. salt
¹⁄₈ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
½ c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
¼ c. sugar
1 (8 oz) package regular cream cheese, softened
¼ tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
8 Oreo cookies, chopped coarsely
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8×8 baking pan with foil so that there is enough to pull the brownies out once they are done. Butter or spray lightly with baking spray. Set aside.
2. Over a double broiler, melt butter, sugar and chocolate. Whisk until smooth. Let mixture cool on counter for 5 minutes. Pour into the bowl of a stand mixer. Add vanilla and one egg, mix, then add the other egg, mix until incorporated.
3. In a small mixing bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. With mixing speed on low, gradually add the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Remove bowl from stand and fold in chocolate chips. Set aside.
4. For the cheesecake batter, in a medium size mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, salt and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Add egg, then mix until just combined. Gently fold in chopped Oreos.
5. To assemble, pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan. Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove and carefully pour the cheesecake batter on top, gently spread to create an even layer. (to create the look above, place additional crushed Oreos on top of the batter) Place in oven and bake for an additional 30-35 minutes or until the cheesecake is set and is slightly golden brown around the edges.
6. Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 45 minutes before chilling in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours. When ready to serve, remove from pan using the foil overhang. Peel foil from brownies, cut and serve.
Adapted from Ready For Dessert, Brownies | Makes approximately 9 large brownies or 12 standard size brownies