Oven Baked Firecracker Wings
You’re going to fall hard for these oven baked firecracker wings! They’re sweet, spicy and packed full of flavor. Did I mention that they’re super crispy… and baked, not fried?!
I’m always on the hunt for new chicken recipes. I don’t make wings very often because frying seems really time consuming and messy (and not so healthy), but now that I’ve mastered a crispy oven baked wing, that’s gonna change! These delicious wings are made in just a little over a half hour and can easily feed a crowd. They’d be perfect for game day festivities!
The trick to getting super crisp oven baked wings is a.) tossing them in a light butter/oil combo b.) baking them on a rack so they don’t sit in fat and c.) bumping up the temperature to 400 degrees. After about 20-25 minutes in the oven you’ll brush them with that thick, vibrant glaze and then broil them till it starts to caramelize. That’s it- so easy.
I garnished mine with sprinkle of sesame seeds, cilantro and chili pepper flakes. They were so good right out of the oven!! Crisp, flavorful, finger-lickin’-good! We’ll definitely be making them again!!
- 2 lbs. chicken wings (wings & drumsticks)
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tbsp. grape seed oil or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- For the glaze:
- 5 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ¼ c. honey
- ¼ c. Sriracha
- 1 tsp. buffalo sauce
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds
- ⅛ tsp. red chili flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil, place a wire rack over top. Spray the rack with nonstick baking spray.
- In a medium size mixing bowl toss the chicken with the melted butter, oil, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Place in on the wire rack and bake for 20-25 minutes or until crispy.
- Meanwhile, to make the glaze, in a small saucepan set over medium heat, add the butter. When the butter has melted, whisk in flour and cook until lightly golden brown, about 1 minute. Stir in the honey, Sriracha, buffalo sauce, soy sauce and lime juice. Simmer until it thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the wings from the oven and transfer to a plate. Brush the wings with the sauce. Remove the foil and place a piece of parchment paper over top of the baking sheet. Place the chicken on the parchment and broil for about 4 minutes or until crisp and crusted. Remove from the oven and garnished with cilantro, sesame seeds, and chili flakes.
Recipe source: adapted from Food Network