Happy World Nutella Day!!! I love celebrating food holidays… mainly because I love making food, but this one is extra special.
You see, about 2 years ago I was strolling through the grocery store and happened to notice a huge shelf dedicated to Nutella. I had never understood the hype over it (mainly because I wasn’t a huge hazelnut fan) but decided to grab a jar of it for my hazelnut-obsessed husband. It was a game changer, no, life changer. Not only do I LOVE Nutella now, but I love practically everything hazelnut!
Now that Nutella is a pantry staple, we use it in/on all sorts of things. For example I stuffed it inside of these s’mores cupcakes, used it as a base for this flourless chocolate cake and swirled in homemade ice cream. It’s so versatile! It was perfect to use in these raspberry Nutella swirl cheesecake bars. All I did was warm it up so that it was slightly less firm and then used a skewer to swirl it over the top of my cheesecake base. I added a few fresh raspberries on top and that was it!
These bars are so incredibly decadent! I love them and so did everyone else, especially my husband! He loves the Cheesecake Factory’s two raspberry flavored cheesecakes, so I knew these would be a hit! I loved the chocolate base, the thick and rich filling, the silky Nutella swirl and the sweet raspberries. I don’t think this combo could get any better! If you want to get really fancy you can do a little adjusting to make this a full 9″ round cheesecake, but these bars were so easy and mess-free that I’d much rather make this version!
If you’re looking for a sweet and sinful dessert for Valentine’s Day, I’d highly suggest these bars! They’re definitely a new favorite of ours!
Raspberry Nutella Swirl Cheesecake Bars Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate cookie crumbs (graham crackers or Oreos)
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 4 Tbsp butter - melted
- 1 lb or (2) 8oz blocks plain cream cheese - room temperature
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs - room temperature
- 1/3 cup sour cream - room temperature
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream - room temperature
- 1/3 cup Nutella - slightly warm
- 4 oz raspberries (about 20 or so)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8×8 square baking pan* with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on at least 2 sides for easy removal.
- In a medium size mixing bowl combine crust ingredients, then spread into prepared pan, creating an even layer. I pressed mine flat with the bottom, of a measuring cup. Place in oven and bake for 8 minutes. Remove and allow to cool while preparing the remaining components.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the cream cheese, salt and vanilla, until smooth and creamy (about 3 minutes). With mixing speed on low, gradually add the sugar, then turn back up to high and beat for an additional minute. With mixing speed on low, add the eggs one at a time, mixing until incorporated. Add the sour cream, then the heavy cream, beat on high for 1 minute.
- Pour the cream cheese filling into the pan and over the baked crust, smoothing out the top with a spatula. Place dollops of Nutella over top and swirl gently with a knife or skewer, taking care not to touch the crust. Place the raspberries over top. Place in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes. You may want to put a sheet of foil over the pan around the 30 minute mark to prevent browning.
- After the bars have baked, turn off the oven, slightly crack the door open and allow to cool for 1 hour. Remove and place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 4 hours before slicing and serving.
- This recipe can be doubled and made in a 9" springform pan. Follow the instructions for my Perfect New York Cheesecake, taking into consideration that you will add the Nutella and raspberries prior to baking and omit the sour cream topping.
Recipe source: Life Made Simple