A couple of weeks ago when my mother-in-law was in town we headed down to Provo and stopped by the BYU Bookstore. Ahh… so many memories there (it was where I worked while in college). Anyway, we had to hit the candy counter. Yes, had to. They’ve got chocolate covered cinnamon bears, decadent fudge, and the most amazing little salted caramel chocolates. We ate a few and I saved the rest, hoping that they’d last us through the following few weeks (we tend to eat any and all chocolate in sight, don’t judge). I knew if I didn’t take drastic measures they’d be gone, so I tucked them away in our pantry. The other day I found them. I was just about to make some brownies when it hit me: PUT THEM IN THE BROWNIES! Yes… mini brownies, that way the chocolate to caramel ratio would be perrrfect. Oh and by topping them with a few mini chocolate chips and a pinch of sea salt they’d be even more perfect! Turns out they were. Stephen ate three or four within 10 minutes. They were gone by the end of the night. No worries, Stephen’s brother was over to help out too… we’re not that bad, geesh 😉
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cocoa powder
- 2 oz dark or semi-sweet chocolate - (I use a half of a Ghiradelli baking bar)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 egg
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 12 salted caramel chocolates
- 3 Tbsp mini chocolate chips + extra to sprinkle on top
- pinch of sea salt for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a mini cupcake/muffin tin with baking spray, set aside.
- Over a double broiler, melt butter, sugar and chocolate. Whisk until smooth. Let mixture cool on counter for 5 minutes. Pour into the bowl of a stand mixer. Add vanilla and egg, mix until incorporated.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder and salt. With mixing speed on low, gradually add the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Remove bowl from stand and fold in chocolate chips.
- Scoop a small amount of batter into the bottom of each well, just enough to cover the base. Place a salted caramel into the center, then cover with remaining batter until each is ¾ of the way full. Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips. Place in oven and bake for 9-11 minutes, being careful not to burn the brownies (the edges should be set).
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with sea salt. Let cool in pan for 3-4 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely (about 20 minutes).
Adapted from Ready For Dessert, Brownies s