This ridiculously easy & amazing sesame coleslaw salad will have you going back for seconds, thirds and fourths. It’s loaded with veggies, protein and flavor!
I’d be happy eating salad for dinner every night, but now that we have kids, that’s just not practical. Fortunately for me we have super adventurous eaters and they’ll gobble up anything we serve them without complaint. This particular dish is one I absolutely adore. It’s super easy to make and it tastes great as leftovers. We like to add grilled chicken to it to make it a “complete” meal, of course, we usually end up serving it with a giant spread of fresh fruit. It’s a win for everyone!
First things first, I like to toast my ramen and almonds, but that’s optional. I think it adds a bit of extra flavor but I’ve had this salad both ways and enjoy it regardless. Just spread them across a rimmed baking sheet and pop them in a 400 degree oven for about 5 minutes or until they get golden brown. We have a countertop smart oven so it makes this step really easy, but I totally understand if it’s an inconvenience for the rest of you! Now onto the chicken. Place a skillet over medium heat, drizzle some olive oil in it, then cook the seasoned chicken.
While the chicken is doing its thing, you’ll want to prep everything else. Combine the crunchy mixture, combine the veggies and mix up the dressing. I know it seems like a long list of ingredients for the dressing, but they all play a part in making this super flavorful, promise! When the chicken has cooled, chop it and then toss EVERYTHING together.
Serve it immediately or you can let it chill in the fridge for a few hours so that the veggies soak up all of that dressing. I know from personal experience that the longer it sits, the more amazing it tastes. The leftovers are soooo good! This dish would be perfect for potlucks, BBQ’s or as a speedy dinner. It’s packed full of veggies, protein and lots of Asian flavor. Yum!
Sesame Coleslaw Salad Recipe
- 1 large chicken breast - seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 (3 oz) package ramen noodles - crumbled, (no seasoning packet)
- 1/4 cup almonds - thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp sunflower seeds - roasted
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 (10 oz) bag broccoli slaw
- 1/2 small green cabbage - chopped
- 2 green onions - sliced
- 1 carrot - julienned
- 1 tbsp cilantro - chopped
For the Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil - OR canola oil
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup hoisin
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- OPTIONAL: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread the crumbled ramen noodles, sliced almonds and sesame seeds on baking sheet. Place in oven and bake for 5-7 minutes or until the mixture is slightly toasted and golden brown. Remove and toss with the sunflower & sesame seeds; set aside.
- Place a medium skillet over medium heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil, then sear & cook chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees. Transfer to a cutting board and allow to rest for 5 minutes before chopping.
- In large bowl, combine the broccoli slaw, cabbage, green onion, carrot and cilantro. Add the cooled chicken and top with the ramen mixture.
- In a bowl or jar, whisk together the ingredients for the dressing. Pour over salad, toss and serve immediately OR refrigerate for 2-4 hours before serving, which will allow the vegetables to absorb the dressing.