Skillet Mac and Cheese
This skillet mac and cheese is rich, cheesy and oh so comforting- it’s unbelievably good! This cozy dish is sure to be a hit with kids and adults alike!
I know, another mac and cheese recipe ?. I promise this is one you need in your arsenal! It’s dangerously cheesy and crazy addictive. We devoured this dish like there was no tomorrow!
If you’ve peeked at my recipe index you’ve probably noticed that I have quite a few macaroni and cheese recipes here on LMS. What can I say? Our family loves a good gooey pasta dish. This was one we really fell hard for. While it may be slightly more work than I’d like for a weeknight side, it’s totally worth it. For our family of 4, we can easily eat the leftovers the following day. Definitely a big mom win!
This mac and cheese goes great with just about anything. We generally eat it with BBQ chicken, grilled chicken, pork tenderloin, or pulled pork. It’s always a hit. When choosing the type of noodle for this recipe, make sure you for something with a hole or crevice for the sauce to hide in. I prefer using small elbows or small shells. Another great option would be rotini. When choosing what type of non-cheddar cheese to use, go for something buttery, creamy and mild. I love Havarti, Gruyere or Muenster.
Take care not to overcook your noodles or the final dish. You want the macaroni to be creamy, not dry. Make sure to serve it straight from the oven for the ultimate cheesy experience! Enjoy 🙂
Skillet Mac and Cheese Recipe
For the Topping
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- pinch cayenne
- pinch kosher sea salt
- 2 tsp parsley - freshly chopped
For the Macaroni
- 1 lb elbow noodles - OR shells
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
- 3 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp kosher sea salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cup muenster cheese - OR Havarti OR gruyere cheese, grated
- 2 cup mild cheddar cheese - grated
- 2 cup medium cheddar cheese - grated
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large stock pot or Dutch oven set over medium-high heat, cook pasta until al dente, drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet set over medium heat, add 3 tablespoons butter. Once the butter has melted, add the breadcrumbs and toast until they become lightly golden in color. Remove from heat and stir in paprika, cayenne, salt and parsley. Set aside.
- Return pot or Dutch oven to the stovetop, set over medium heat, add 4 tablespoons butter. Once the butter has melted, add flour and cook, whisking continuously for 1 minute, taking care not to burn. Slowly pour in the evaporated milk and whole milk, whisking until a smooth sauce forms. Season with mustard, salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne. Bring mixture to a simmer, then remove from the heat.
- Gradually stir in the cheeses, return pot to heat and stir in cooked noodles.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs over top, then cover and bake for 20 minutes. Remove lid or foil and bake uncovered for an additional 6-8 minutes or until the breadcrumbs are golden brown. Serve immediately.
- Use the largest holes on your cheese grater.
- I used Muenster for this particular recipe, however, I've used Gruyere and Havarti in my other mac and cheese recipes.