Southwestern Burrito Bowl Bake
Casseroles and bakes are something I never really think of when planning out our dinners for the week. It’s a shame because they’re so easy to throw together and the leftovers are perfect for the following days lunch! However, the other day I was craving something spicy and full of flavor but that wasn’t smothered in sauce. This southwestern burrito bowl was perfect! It’s loaded with all sorts of delicious veggies and topped with cheese, tomato, green onions and cilantro.
Making this dish could not be easier. It’s basically all chopping, dicing and mincing! Once your ingredients are all prepped out the veggies need to cook and then everything gets layered in to bake. After about 30 minutes at 375 degrees, you’ve got a pan full of cheesy southwestern deliciousness!
This bake is perfect for game days, parties or large gatherings. It’s best when served with a giant bowl of chips or a stack of warm tortillas! We topped ours with some fresh avocado and a drizzle of hot sauce- it was sooo good!
This easy and filling recipe has got me hooked on one-dish meals! I can’t wait to make a pan of my favorite rustic chicken and vegetable cobbler or my baked rigatoni with mini meatballs! What are some of your favorite casseroles, bakes or one-dish meals? I’m always on the hunt for dinner ideas!
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 3 bell peppers, diced
- 2 jalapeños, seeds and ribs removed, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c. corn
- 2 (14 oz) cans black beans, rinsed
- 1 c. chicken broth
- 3 c. cooked rice
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1½ c. cheese, shredded
- Diced tomato
- Chopped cilantro
- Sliced green onions
- Diced avocado
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and jalapeño. Once the mixture is tender, add the garlic. When the garlic is fragrant and translucent, add the corn and black beans, chicken broth and seasonings. Turn heat up to medium high and cook for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spoon the rice into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Top with pepper/bean/corn mixture. Stir just a little bit to combine. Top with cheese and place in the oven to bake for 30 minutes. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes before adding garnishes.
-Grilled chicken, ground beef or turkey can be added to this dish.
Inspired by: Pinch of Yum