Strawberry Shortcake Skillet
You’re going to fall in love with this sweet, buttery, strawberry shortcake skillet- I did! ????
Strawberry season is here!!! Are you as excited as I am?! Strawberries are one of my favorite fruits. I blame it on all of the patches I grew up by… I was seriously spoiled living in northern California. Now that we live in Utah we have to wait, and wait, and wait for the good ones to come to us. They’re finally starting to appear, which makes me ready for summer and all things strawberry. ????
I wanted to share a quick and easy homemade strawberry sauce recipe with you today too. It only requires 5 ingredients and 10 minutes to make. I think it’s the perfect topping for this buttery skillet cake.
You’ll need about four cups of sliced fresh strawberries, 1/4 cup of sugar (less if you want it on the tart side), 1/4 cup of water, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Boil everything except for the vanilla until it gets nice and thick, then whisk the vanilla in at the end. That’s it. Soooo simple, yet so delicious. Not only is it great on cake, but it’s fantastic on top of homemade sundaes, in crepes, on pancakes or waffles or with granola and yogurt.
But since we’re using it on top of this lovely yellow cake, let’s talk a little more about that. The cake is blonde version of a traditional (chocolate) Texas sheet cake… only done in a skillet!! It’s super easy to make, the only special ingredient you’ll need is cake flour. I like to use cake flour with this recipe because it keeps it extra light and fluffy. I’ve made it without cake flour and found it to be a bit dense and crumbly. The type of flour you use really can make a huge difference. You’ll pour the hot batter into a prepared cast iron skillet and then bake it just until it’s set. (NOTE: I like to make my strawberry sauce while the cake is baking so that it has a bit of time to thicken while the cake is cooling but still stays warm).
The only thing that’s left to do is pour the strawberries over top, add a few scoops of vanilla ice cream and a dollop or two of whipped cream and enjoy! And let me tell you, we did! This strawberry shortcake skillet was a quick & easy recipe that our entire family loved. It’s something we’ll be making all summer long! Enjoy & happy baking.????????
Strawberry Shortcake Skillet Recipe
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg - lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
For the Strawberry Sauce
- 2 lbs strawberries - sliced, about 4 cups
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice - fresh
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray a large cast iron skillet with spray, set aside.
- In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, bring the butter and water to a boil. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cake flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt before whisking in the egg, sour cream, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Remove the hot mixture from the heat, slowly pour into the dry ingredients, mix until combined (the batter will be extremely thin). Pour into the prepared skillet.
- Place in the oven and bake for 17-20 minutes or until the top springs back when touched. Remove from the oven.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the sauce. In a medium saucepan, bring everything except for the extract to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- To assemble, pour the warm sauce over the top of the cake, serve with a few scoops of vanilla ice cream or dollops of whipped cream. Enjoy warm.
DON’T FORGET TO CHECK OUT THESE 10 NEW STRAWBERRY RECIPES:
- Strawberry Lassi Recipe – Ashlee Marie
- Non-Alcholic Frozen Strawberry Magaritas – Real Mom Kitchen
- Strawberry Butter – Butter With A Side of Bread
- Strawberry Chipotle BBQ Sauce – The Stay At Home Chef
- Strawberry Lemonade Bars – The Baker Upstairs
- Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries – Like Mother Like Daughter
- White Chocolate Strawberry Brownies – Jamie Cooks It Up!
- Strawberry Skillet Corn Cake – Yummy Healthy Easy
- Strawberry Cheesecake Dip – Creations by Kara
- http://Slow Cooker 4-Ingredient Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler – 365 Days of Slow Cooking