When I was grocery shopping this week I tossed a couple of limes into my cart knowing that I would use some for guacamole but wanting to use the rest in a baked good. I thought about making lemon-lime bars or mini key lime pies, but then I remembered I had some coconut left over from these cupcakes
and wanted to somehow incorporate it. That’s when came across a recipe I had pinned several months ago. It was a simple drop cracked sugar cookie recipe with a lot of potential. I messed around with the measurements of some ingredients and added a few of my own. If you love lime and coconut as much as I do, you’ll definitely love these cookies. They’re sweet, soft, and really chewy. The coconut adds texture and sweetness while the lime adds tartness and zing. Once you eat one, you won’t want to stop!
Toasted Coconut Lime Sugar Cookies
2 ½ c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
1 c. butter, softened
1 ½ c. white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Zest of 1 lime
3 tbsp. lime juice
⅛ tsp. coconut oil
½ c. unsweetened coconut
½ c. sugar (fine or coarse)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. To toast coconut, spread a thin layer of coconut on a cookie sheet and bake for 5-7 minutes. Keep a close eye on it, as cooking time may vary.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy. Beat in whole egg and yolk. Add vanilla extract, coconut oil, lime juice and lime zest. Mix until incorporated.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
5. Gradually mix in the dry ingredients and toasted coconut. Place dough in refrigerator for 15 minutes or until firm (this will make the rolling process so much easier).
6. Roll dough into 1 ½ inch balls, then roll in sugar. Place onto lined cookie sheets about 2 inches apart.
7. Place in oven and bake for 8 to 12 minutes, or until lightly browned.
8. Let stand on cookie sheet for 2-3 minutes before transferring to cool on wire racks.
Adapted from Savory Sweet Life- Sugar Cookies | Makes approximately 2 dozen